LaVell Edwards is known as one of the most successful coaches in college football history. He is largely responsible for putting Brigham Young University on the college football map. Over the years I have read many stories about him. On Christmas Eve the Deseret Morning News printed a story I had never heard. It is about the stress that he felt during his first holiday season in Provo. His young daughter was seriously ill, his career was changing (he was an assistant coach on the college level for the first time) and he was saddled with two mortgages.
I think the story gives some clues about why players played their hearts out for him and were successful during critical moments during games. It may be because they took on the characteristics of their coach and the way he lived his life.
To read the story by Doug Robinson click here.

1 comment:
What a wonderful article! A great mid-morning pick-up.
Post a Comment