Saturday, December 22, 2007

A little help here, please....

Ok, I borrowed the title for this post from my niece, Tori. This is what she's taught my 3-year-old to say whenever she needs assistance.

So you've probably guessed--I need assistance.

The background: our house has a fireplace. Just a plain ol' one, nothing fancy. My mom's has a blower on it that actually blows the warm air into the room. It's really nice. But not mine.

The problem: our house is filled with smoke. Yes, the flue is open. And this is not the first time this has happened. But it doesn't happen all the time, either. It's cold outside, fairly windy, and we are burning old wood with newspaper as the starter.

The question: Are we not supposed to have fires in our fireplace when it is windy? No one told us this, but we're just guessing. If you have any knowledge on this subject, please share it. Scientific explanations are welcome. We'd just like to prevent the burning eyes and shallow breathing in the future.

Thanks in advance. It's two days til the big Christmas festivities (and one of the days is the Sabbath), so I'd better get back to the things that are really important: finishing those gifts!

2 comments:

karin said...

I asked my Dad because they have a fireplace and it gets pretty windy here. He says that happens to them, so that could be the case with you too. Sorry no scientific explanation, I asked during a commercial (which was being fast-forwarded) during the Vegas Bowl.

Anonymous said...

It gets pretty windy here too and mine never does that. I wonder if you need to have a little top thing on it? We need to check into this more.