Sunday, December 9, 2007

Steppin' out of the comfort zone

Several months ago I was sitting in church minding my own business when I received some very bad news. Bad for me anyway. I was going to join the choir. Yikes.

Our delightful, beautifully-voiced choir director announced that our ward had been asked to sing in Stake Conference in December and she needed people to join for both the conference and Christmas program. That's when I received the news. Now I was not asked by anyone in our ward to join (a personal invite--are you kidding?), but I know I was asked.

I've learned through the years that it's always better to follow through with the loud, clear thoughts that come into your mind. This was loud, and it was clear. So I joined.

Our ward choir is made up of wonderful people of varying musical backgrounds. There are the "educated" singers, the experienced singers, the talented singers, the quiet singers, and me. By virtue of the fact that I can't sing anything other than the melody, I am a soprano.

Stake Conference was this morning. I don't know exactly why I was supposed to join. Perhaps it was so my family could get a seat in the chapel for the first time ever (we always manage to sit in the back of the cultural hall). Perhaps it was just to add volume to the choir. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I did it. I sang better than ever before. My voice sounded prettier than ever before. I felt the Spirit stronger than I had ever felt it during our practices. Bottom line: I shared my testimony today. It was someone else's words. It was part of a large group. But it was my testimony.

Jesus is the Christ, the Savior of mankind.

2 comments:

karin said...

Isn't it great to know (somewhat quickly) why we feel impressed to do things. That was what one of our talks was on today but she said that it is usually in hind sight (and I totally agree) that we realize why we are "suppose" to do things.

Stamp With Linz said...

And you are an absolute joy to have in there. I hope you stick around. :) And I totally ditto your comments- we had a very magical performance today. :) Thanks for following your promptings.