Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thoughtful Christmas Gifts

One of the buzz words this time of year is "commercialism." And it is has a negative connotation. I agree that retail stores realize that we all have a buck to spend, and they will do anything for us to spend our buck with them.

But I saw some commercialism the other day that I really liked. Good ole' Sears. They have a commercial on TV right now that ends with the phrase, "Don't just give a gift, Grant a wish." Take a second....think about it....do you like that?

I do. That phrase is what Christmas presents are all about. At least the presents to my kids. I think a lot about what to get them. I get annoyed at toys that are given and then never played with. As my children are getting older, I really want their presents to mean something to their lives. I want them to open gifts that will gladden their heart, not just fill the toy box. I'll be the first to tell you that this desire of mine is extremely difficult to fulfill, and I definitely fall short most of the time.

But thank you, Sears, for re-focusing me on what to give. Too bad the things that mean the most to my kids aren't found at Sears.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that saying also, remember that Bran,I'm not just giving a gift I'm trying to grant their wish

karin said...

I feel the same way. My kids aren't even at an age where they don't love everything- I just want them to love it forever, not just for a couple of days.

Michele said...

You want that big reaction in the beginning to be followed by a long and beautiful relationship, and one in which they use the item differently as they age but never grow tired of it. Yeah, it's tough; we try every year and only like 33.33333% of the time we succeed, but ya gotta try, right?