Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Feeling Grandmotherly today....


Not really...but here is another post directed at those with younger children, whose families are still growing.

Today is day two. And still no wet bed. I admit that I've been lazy on this one. Emma was early and easy when it came to potty training. It was just a month or two after she turned two. What a blessing to have your last be your easiest. Maybe I knew what I was doing or maybe she just had enough siblings to model after. I don't know and I don't care. But she's been potty trained for a while now.

But I've procrastinated bedtime training. I guess the almost daily bedsheet washing with Isaac is still fresh in my mind. See, Rebekah and Emma share a queen-sized bed. One--I don't want to make and re-make that big bed every day. Two--is it really fair for a 10 year old to sleep with a bed-wetter? She thinks not. So, I've never really even tried. I'm fine with buying a bag of pull-ups once a month.

But recently Emma's been waking up with dry pull-ups. So I guess it's time. I bought a queen-sized plastic cover for the mattress (my hubby didn't even know they made them that size), and on Monday, I put it on. And off came the pull-ups. I'm proud of Emma, but then again, she's just following the natural progression of growing up. I'm the one who had to overcome my laziness. Or procrastination. Whatever you want to call it.

With all this change--I'm losing my identity. I'm no longer a "young" mother. In 16 months, I'll have a teenager. I'll never again have a child in nursery. And we'll never have diapers (or pull-ups) again. I'm sure there is some middle ground, because I certainly am not ready to be an "old" mother.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you can settle yourself to be just "a mother". ~TK

karin said...

CONGRATS on the nighttime potty training.
I hear it is a hard transition- also having NO kids at home during the day is tough too.

Larry said...

When Jeanette goes to the refrigerator to get something and asks, "What am I getting?" I will promptly answer, "older", after which I am in the doghouse.

Age sneaks up on you. One day you are just learning how to drive. You get busy, and then there you are, married with grandchildren.

Don't act old!

Stamp With Linz said...

You're not old anything- you're lovely in everyway!

Michele said...

Now hold on just a cotton-pickin' minute. You've just chucked all of us early-thirties, no diaper kids into the old mother catergory, and I for one would have to disagree! We're not old till we send 'em off the college or missions! And even then, well, we'll be active and people will say they can't believe we have grown kids!