When forming our own family traditions, one of the biggest compromises we made had to do with birthdays. One of the traditions we decided on is that after your 8th birthday, you no longer have a big birthday party. We have a small family gathering with cake and presents, but that is it. Instead, we let the child choose an activity and depending on what it is, they can invite a certain number of friends to join us. No gifts. No party. Just a fun time together making memories.
Well, this year Rebekah wanted a sleepover. She's never had one before. We talked about a theme, and she decided on scrapbooking. So I got each girl a mini-album and let them use all my supplies (except I didn't break out the stamps or ink...and I hid my Stampin' Up cardstock). Some of the girls have never done anything like this before. A couple of them have a little experience. But all of them are having a good time.
I totally feel like Lindsey Blackhurst. I've been to a few of her cropping nights. She lays out her supplies and says "have at it." I hope she's proud that not only has she taught me how to host a crop night, but that I am grooming these 10-year-olds to be future customers! Heads up--they think the punches are really cool.
5 comments:
What a fabulous idea! What did Paul I. do for his 8th? (I need boy ideas).
Okay, as you know, I read all the time but don't comment...well I would be ungrateful if I didn't comment on this one! I LOVE it! Tell Bekah that I think it is SO cool that she wanted a scrapbooking sleepover & next time I want to be invited...okay so I wouldn't be all that cool to have as a guest, but I could bring my punches!
Karin,
I think one of the Star Wars movies was released right at Paul's 8th or 9th birthday and he took H to see it. We've gone roller skating, to the movies, to the Mayborn (that was Bek's last year), and bowling. One year Paul Ivan invited the Castaneda boys and H over for lunch and swimming. We have one of those big above-ground pools from Wal-Mart. I'm sure California offers much more than Waco!
I am so glad the girls had a great time, I can't wait to see Bekah's scrapebook. You have such great ideas.L/Faye
So much fun! I need to do some over here...
Post a Comment