I know a lot of my friends have children younger than mine. So I'm here to give you hope.
As a mother, it is so much easier, and more effective, to do all the chores myself. Of course it isn't funner. But if I do all the chores, my precious little children will not develop any sort of work ethic and they'll be doomed for the rest of their life. So, I sacrifice and assign certain duties for them to do. Not the most important duties, because I want them done right, but the duties I can handle being done with less-than-adult skill.
In my house, I make the kids clean their own rooms. (because I can shut the door when company arrives.) They've never really done a stellar job. After 3 or 4 times of them "cleaning" their own room by themselves, I am usually required to go in and de-junk the corners and closets. Sometimes I get several Wal-mart bags full. I mark my success by the amount of trash I can throw away for them. I figure the more practice they have in cleaning their own room, the better they'll be at it, right? And one day, they'll actually be able to accomplish a "clean" room.
Well, the day has finally come. I mentioned a few posts ago that I implemented a new after-school routine. Yesterday Paul's chore was "bedroom." That's all I wrote. I would be happy with any interpretion of that. As usual, he got right to work on his list. I love that about him. In a little while I hear the purring of the vacuum from the back of the house. I'm a little shocked. The good kind of shocked. I go back to take a peek, and it has finally happened. His room was actually clean after he cleaned it. Amazing.
So, young mothers, please don't give up. I now know that it takes 11 years, 8 months, and 3 days for a child to gain the skill needed to actually clean his room. At least that's how long it took Paul.
As a mother, it is so much easier, and more effective, to do all the chores myself. Of course it isn't funner. But if I do all the chores, my precious little children will not develop any sort of work ethic and they'll be doomed for the rest of their life. So, I sacrifice and assign certain duties for them to do. Not the most important duties, because I want them done right, but the duties I can handle being done with less-than-adult skill.
In my house, I make the kids clean their own rooms. (because I can shut the door when company arrives.) They've never really done a stellar job. After 3 or 4 times of them "cleaning" their own room by themselves, I am usually required to go in and de-junk the corners and closets. Sometimes I get several Wal-mart bags full. I mark my success by the amount of trash I can throw away for them. I figure the more practice they have in cleaning their own room, the better they'll be at it, right? And one day, they'll actually be able to accomplish a "clean" room.
Well, the day has finally come. I mentioned a few posts ago that I implemented a new after-school routine. Yesterday Paul's chore was "bedroom." That's all I wrote. I would be happy with any interpretion of that. As usual, he got right to work on his list. I love that about him. In a little while I hear the purring of the vacuum from the back of the house. I'm a little shocked. The good kind of shocked. I go back to take a peek, and it has finally happened. His room was actually clean after he cleaned it. Amazing.
So, young mothers, please don't give up. I now know that it takes 11 years, 8 months, and 3 days for a child to gain the skill needed to actually clean his room. At least that's how long it took Paul.
5 comments:
hey Bran good going!!! I wish I had known that when Tonya was growing up, has it been that long for her yet HAAHA. I remember lots of trash bags. I'm glad Paul has met the challenge. Good going Paul!! FayeJ
That is great! I can't wait until I write something on a list and the boys get it done.
My boys now expect that when we clean up toys and everything is off the floor that we will be vacuuming (we have to wait for Daddy to come home but I think if we keep making them think that is what happens after we pick, they will never know any different).
Brandy,
You are the cutest. I love reading your posts. Thanks for the encouragement.
Only 10 years to go...
GREAT You know when I had my cleaning business there was a 5 child family I helped.
The Mom had me come every other week. She said her kids dusted and cleaned . She wanted me to go over it when I came to get it real good.
I watched her go from the child doing dishes to the one making the bed. instructing them. Her job. And a full time one.I was impressed
I think you are an awesome Mom. Great with the kids.WOW!
Post a Comment