Friday, February 8, 2008

Children really do want discipline.


I admit that sometimes I don't post because my husband just posted and I want his post to remain on the top for at least a day. He swears he doesn't care, but I do.

I also don't post because I have nothing good or clever to say. If I can't make myself laugh, I know you're not going to be laughing either.

I'm also deterred because our spell check has not been working on blogger, and I hate to not have that backup for my fast typing and poor spelling ability. So please, just ignore the spelling errors.

I think I have three pretty good reasons why I haven't been posting. But, if it were me reading your blog, I wouldn't let you off the hook. So, I'll tell you a little about a huge blessing I recently received in my life.

I've recently been the recipient of pure inspiration. It came after a lot of frustration. Three of my kids take piano lessons. We have an excellent teacher, but she's kind and in no way scary. Sometimes I wish my kids feared her. But anyway, our house is crazy after school. I babysit a niece and nephew every weekday until 5:30pm. So I have 6 kids running around this place all with their own ideas of how they want to spend their evening. I've set up a small routine, but it easily gets interrupted. Too easily, actually. One of my biggest frustrations was that the piano was not being given its due priority. If in all my childcare, homework help, and dinner preparations, I happen to not notice that one kid did not play their piano pieces, that kid got away with it. A few weeks ago, we went the entire week without any of them practicing. I had had enough.

I consulted with our teacher, and she gave me her advice (she raised 4 daughters who all play the piano.) I pondered her words, and as I began to implement them, it all fell into place. It's complicated, but I'll just say that I now have an after-school system that is working! I have a post-it note ready for each child after school that has the list of the things they must do. Everyone is doing their homework (although that's never been a problem), practicing their piano pieces 3 times each, and doing a chore. It's great. This is definitely a case of "after all you can do, the Lord will do the rest."

And you know what, the kids are as happy about this new system as I am.

4 comments:

Larry said...

Not only do children need discipline, they blame you later if you do not provide discipline.

Train up a child in their youth and they will never depart from it.

I see this in scouting too. The boys want to play, but they also want the rewards of doing other things. If you don't encourage them and prod them to do their duties then they do not gain the rewards. And neither do you.

Oh, and by the way, I read all the posts, whether there is only one or many posted in a day. No more exuses.

karin said...

I read EVERY post (I don't always leave a comment because I feel like I always leave long comments or they are stupid). You should post even if you don't think it is funny or entertaining.
I do better with a routine, especially one that I can't change (church is a perfect example of that- you know what to expect and when).

Anonymous said...

Someone said if you have a list for a child he knows ahead of time what is expected.It is easier.
If they come home from school and are met with a surprise job to do they feel a shock
You do a great job Brandy.
Mom B.

Jeanette said...

You are right they really want discipline. They even want it as teenagers. And I believe they really like order or consistency in expectations and consequences. I need to try the list thing with my kids.