Sorry if my title conjures up thoughts of Paris Hilton.
I wanted to write today about a very special friend of mine. I'm grateful to have her in my life. I don't want to embarrass her, but after she reads this, I hope she knows it's her.
The first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about her is "unprofitable servant." If you do one thing nice for her, she'll do two or three things nicer for you. This trait of hers can actually be hard for me to deal with.
She's also very humble. She has a lot of church experience and knowledge, yet most of the time I talk with her, she's frustrated at how much she doesn't know. She'll credit her husband with being the "scholar", but she's not fooling anyone. She's pretty dang smart, too.
She's the embodiment of "secret service." This is a fun phrase I like to use with my kids. We do a lot of talking about "secret service" in my family, but my friend does a lot of doing, and not any talking about it. I am privileged to know of some service she did many years ago, before I really got to know her, and have seen the pattern consistently continue since that time. And her type of service is generous--both time and money. And I'm betting I don't know the half of what she does. But I do know some, because I've been the recipient many times.
She's an incredible mother and grandmother. She lives the gospel. She and her husband teach their children the "important" things in life. Her children are kind, and skillful. They've been taught, and not only by example, to sew, cook, garden, camp, repair cars, woodwork, iron work, and any number of skills I'm sure I don't know how to do. I've always been impressed that her and her husband take the time to build character while accomplishing tasks. I'm more of a get-it-done type of mom. I'm glad I have her example.
So you can see in just these few examples, that I am lucky to have such a friend. I want to thank her for all she's done for me and my family. Although she's not my mom, I wish her a happy Mother's Day and hope she feels the love I know her family has for her. And that her friends have for her--because I know I'm not her only friend.
Monday, May 5, 2008
BFF
Posted by
Brandy
at
10:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Who is Paris Hilton?
Sometimes things appear to be like paradise when in fact they are not. I think I know of the person you have alluded in your dissertation, and I too admire her and think that she is MY BFF.
Nobody is perfect. Even she has her shortcomings. I love her very much and think that she is perfect for me. Made to measure. Like a glove.
What does "things appear like paradise when in fact they are not" mean? Are you talking bad about my BFF? Leave her alone. She works hard and tries her best. Of course she is not perfect, but following her example helps me be a little closer to the perfection we all seek.
And yes, you two are made to measure.
In no way was I trying to cast any aspersions on my beloved partner. I was just saying that there are no guarantees, and not everything that shines is gold. Our life is not as glamorous as some may think. Our problems are unique to us, just like everybody else.
Be careful where you hitch your pony. Make sure that the hitching-post is solid. The best way to get a good measure is to go to the source. The Master is the only one that can provide that stability that is needed.
I just sometimes wish that we did not measure so much.
By all means, your BFF can help you and you can keep her as your BFF. She needs a friend. Besides me.
WONDERWOMAN does exist. I knew it. I took a class years ago all about Wonderwoman. I think she is a close relative of Molly Mormon.
I felt better after that class.
I was told she didn't exist. I felt better about myself after hearing this.However I know some women come darn close.
Mom B.
Post a Comment