Saturday, May 31, 2008

Gardening Merit Badge



We decided to let Paul kinda run our garden this year. He picked out the plants and even planted them. The boy scout merit badge requires that he grow 3 vegetables from seeds and 3 from seedlings. His seedlings were jalapeno peppers, zucchini, and tomatoes. They are really easy to grow.

The seeds are not yet in the garden, but they are sprouting and growing in his bedroom. Brother Vance educated us on the need to "harden" an indoor plant before you replant it in a garden. Now we're nervous. We hope we don't kill them.

The top picture shows our new garden. Last year we only built one small garden (the one with the giant zucchini growing in it) and we planted way too much in it. This year, Paul Ivan built this second, larger garden so we could be better organized and grow more stuff. So he filled it with tomatoes. Yep, almost all of those plants are tomatoes (the three in the middle are the jalapeno peppers.) I bet we get rid of a few of those before the season ends. We can only eat so many tomatoes.

4 comments:

karin said...

I am impressed. I hope our garden looks as good and I don't need it to be so HUGE (like your zucchini) but I want something.

Good job on the postings.

Anonymous said...

A lady at my work makes a great fresh salsa with finely chopped zuchinni in it. Aunt Marlene and Uncle Dwight had a large tomato garden and made great canned Salsa.
As for the extra large Zuchinni. There is a recipe somewhere for a stuffed zuchinni. Great with those big ones.BEAUTIFUL GARDEN THERE>
Love Grandma B.

Larry said...

Tomato soup
Tomato and bacon and lettuce sandwich
Tomato and pepper in spaghetti
Tomato and onion sandwich
Tomato sauce
Tomato slices
Tomato in salad
Tomato catchup (ketchup) (catsup)
etcetera

I like jalapenos

Larry said...

Thank you for the jalepenos. They have been heart warming.