Emma is just not getting it. I've tried to explain our family tree, but something is just not clicking.
Just to put things in context, we live near my parents, Frank and Faye Johnson, my sister, Tonya Kuykendall, and Paul's brother, Keith Romer. The rest of the Romer family lives out-of-state. These names are important--remember them.
Okay, so the other day Emma called my mother, "Grandma Romer." Emma does have a Grandma Romer, but she lives in California. She also has a Grandma B (or Beverley--we're kinda inconsistent), and she lives in Utah. My children have always just called my mom, "Grandma." Well, when Emma called her Grandma Romer, my mom just corrected her by telling her that her name wasn't Romer. My mom said, "My name is Grandma Johnson." Emma's reply back was, "well, my name's Romer, and we're family."
Today, my sister's toddler son, Jake, was getting into something and Emma--our little Mother Hen--sternly said to him, "Jake Kathryn Romer, put that down." Okay, I laughed at this one, but still, it couldn't be more wrong. Just because her name is Emma Kathryn Romer does not mean that every family member share's it.
I'm guessing that a three-year-old's brain just isn't ready for the complicated structure of a family tree.
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Family Ties
Posted by
Brandy
at
8:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love that she called him by her middle and last name. My boys call my Dad "Papa" and Bryan's Dad "Papa Brown." They don't know what my parents' last name is, maybe I should start talking to them about it.
I am so glad to be in with the blog thing. I love to hear the cute stories of kids. Hopefully you can see our stories more often now that I know how these things work. I love your blog!
When Debra was about the age of Emma, or maybe a little younger we were trying to teach her about our family all being with the same last name, Vance.
Larry Vance
Jeanette Vance
Arlo Vance
Craig Vance
and so forth
She started to cite the names of the other children and add the name Vance to the end.
She continued through all the names and then she said --
Scruff Vance?
Scruffy was our dog.
That is just to funny. You know when I was young learning the alphabet I thought L M N O was one letter. Love Grandma B.
A B C D puppies?
L M N O puppies!
O S A R puppies,
C M P N?
Post a Comment