Did you hear about the wedding this weekend in Crawford?
Yeah, I know. Who didn't?
I went to a what could be considered a press conference today at Belton High School. The band from the school actually performed for the wedding party in Salado Friday night before the Saturday wedding.
It was funny to hear the stories from students and others who were involved. If your interested the story is here.
During the give and take between the press and the subjects of the story, I saw something that impressed me tremendously.
One of the students in the press conference was the daughter of a man who used to be in management at the newspaper until he died of cancer a few years ago.
I saw her name on a list of band members and knew she was in the crowd but I had never met her. Another reporter who did know her called the girl by name and asked her a question.
She was the only student recognized by name and the reporter let everyone know who her father was and the role he had played at the newspaper when he was alive.
It was an extremely thoughtful and kind gesture, one of those experiences that a teenager goes home and tells his or her parents about.
Maybe with a little more experience I can get an interesting story and make others feel good about themselves, too.

No comments:
Post a Comment