During my four years as a public school teacher, I was told by other teachers that in the future I would see a student on the news who had been arrested for something terrible. They said it happens to everybody sooner or later.
Today it happened to me and I didn't even recognize the girl from her picture. It wasn't until I saw her name that I put it all together. I won't share her name but I will say that in class she was generally respectful and intelligent. The only sign of trouble was her sporadic attendance.
Now the signs are the big tattoo on her neck and her mug shot on the news.
It's hard to believe that she and another person have been charged with crimes associated with the home invasion and robbery of an elderly and disabled person.

5 comments:
How sad. But it is kind of good that it has taken this long and there is only one.
to sad to sad to sad
\ \
\
\ \ \ \ \
\ \
This makes the the statistics in this Washington Post article hit a little closer to home.
It states there are about as many people in prison or on parole in the US as there are members of the church! (my comparison not the article's)
That works out to 1 in every 32 people in the US. Given that ratio and the average class size in Texas (at about 20 or so per class)--it would make sense that on average one student for every class or two taught ends up in prison.
How sad is right!
I know just how you feel Paul. I have been involved with youth for the past 30 years. Even though most of the youth I have been associated with were members of the church, about half of them have taken for doing things that do not conform to the high standards of the church.
It is truly sad to see a youth make eternally fatal mistakes. It hurts even more when the deviation from the truth is that of somebody that you are personally attached.
The place where I was raised I knew of some that were considered untrustworthy. It is truly sad to see somebody deviate to that state.
There was a young man in Denver that "befriended" another boy that was disreputable. They went for a joy ride in a stolen car. They had firearms with them. A police officer stopped them and the disreputable boy shot the officer and killed him. The other boy is now in prison for life because of his association with the first. Truly sad.
WOW...I bet that was a shocker to see and hear about. It's real sad what happens to these young ones and so fast...
Post a Comment