Saturday, March 29, 2008

I'm a Millionaire but I Can't Lend You Any Money

I understand that the currency is so devalued in Zimbabwe that there literally are poor billionaires on the street corners. I mean no offense to the people of that country when I say that I understand their plight.

You see several years ago my father-in-law made me and my wife millionaires. I think it cost him about $650.

We are millionaires in Iraq, for when he was working there, he purchased $1 million in Iraqi dinar and gave it to us as a gift.

We have always been grateful for the gift. It was unexpected and kind. And it is nice to remind our children every now and again how rich we are.

I'm grateful now that he isn't in Zimbabwe because I don't think I could handle being a billionaire, too.

1 comment:

Larry said...

When I was in Argentina serving my mission the country was going through a change in currency. The had decided to drop three zeros off the end of the numbers. Many people still talked in the old currency values and made the translation by multiplying everything by 1000. They were suffering from a rampant inflation at the rate of 200% per annum. I was a millionaire then.

In my life I may earn a milliion dollars. Too bad I didn't get to keep most of it.