The women in my life show their love and concern for me in strange ways, very early in the morning.
When I was a teenager I would occasionally stay out past midnight. On several occasions when I drifted home a little late, I found my mother sleeping on the couch. I guess she didn't have the stamina to stay awake while she waited for me to come home.
I instinctively knew she was there because of her concern for me but I would never try to wake her. Instead, I would quietly enter the house and go to my room without disturbing her sleep.
Sometimes, however, her motherly concerns would overpower her unconscious state. She would sit up and like a drill sergeant fire off questions to see where I had been and who I had been out with. I would answer her like a good recruit and we would both go our separate ways in the night.
Later in the morning after the sun had risen, she would have no recollection of our brief conversation.
Something similar happened with Brandy and me this Monday morning, although Brandy recalls our brief early morning conversation.
Sunday night we were planning out what time I would need to leave home the next morning to get my sister and nephew to the Austin airport in time for an 8 a.m. flight. We decided that to be safe we should leave by 4:30 a.m.
Brandy has the good fortune of manning the alarm clock in our room, so she asked me what time I needed to get up. I think my answer of 4:23 a.m. must have made her a little nervous because she woke me up a little early.
In the middle of the night, Brandy woke me up when she said, "Paul, wake up. It's 2:10 a.m."
I pondered on her words for a moment and said, "Did the alarm go off?"
"No," she said.
"Then why are you waking me up?" I asked.
"I don't know," she said and we both went back to sleep.
We talked about this event later when we were both more awake. It appears that Brandy had great concern that we would wake up late and Lindsey and Enzo would miss their flight. That concern just happened to be expressed in an unusual way at 2:10 a.m.
6 comments:
I never sleep well the night before I have to fly somewhere or have something important early the next morning. I usually wake up several times to make sure that I don't oversleep. I can understand how she was feeling.
The funny thing is I woke up around the same time and grabbed my phone to check what time it was, I must have heard your alarm go off in my sleep? When the time actually came, I barely heard my own alarm going off. Good time were had the night before and I'm very grateful that I was able to stay there and for you to give me a ride through the terrible storm with all the horrible storm stories. Good thing we didn't get washed off the freeway. Love you!
That is so funny. Paul, you have such a vivid way of telling a story; I can see my own mom in your mom, when she sat up and started the unconcious inquisition.
Tomorrow my wife and daughter need to be at their departure location at ~4AM. I am already anxious about being late and will probably not sleep tonight. Such is life.
You are kinda going overboard with that GENIOUS stuff aren't you?
I wonder if I talked in my sleep at church Sunday?
I am so glad you are all grown up. It was so exhausting being a Mom. You are a great son.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment