I spoke with a widow on the phone today and made her cry. In the morning I will not say a word, may not even speak to her, but I am confident that because of my work, she will cry again.
There will be a story in the newspaper tomorrow morning about Ralph Wilson Jr., a philanthropist from Temple who passed away in December but through his will has continued what for him was a lifetime practice of giving.
He bequeathed $5 million to local charities.
As I contacted source after source each told a similar story about Wilson. He was, quite frankly, one of the most generous people you could hope to meet. I was stunned as I listened to story after story about his goodness.
When I spoke with his widow today she had reservations about me doing a story about him. She asked me if I would consider sending a copy of the story to her before it was printed.
I told her that I never do that.
We continued to talk, however, and I assured her that my intent was to write something that the family could be proud of and possibly clip out of the paper to save, not something that would cause hurt feelings or discord.
I had already started the article. I told Mrs. Wilson that if she would like me to I would read her my first three paragraphs. If she liked it, I would keep them. If not, I told her I would delete them and start over.
After reading her the paragraphs there was a period of silence, then I heard her weeping.
"I love it," she said.
I promised I would try to sustain the same tone throughout the article, and I believe I did.
I looked at the last sentence on my monitor before sending the story off to the editors and I thought, "that is going to make her cry."
Sometimes tears are from fond memories. I believe they are a great help at ushering in peace and healing.
Ralph Wilson Jr. will be missed but his will assures that his legacy of giving will continue.
On my way home from work, I thought that the following scripture describes Wilson and how I can become more like him.
Moroni 7:47-48
But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ...
Thursday, March 20, 2008
A Legacy of Unusual Generosity
Posted by
Paul
at
9:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'd like to read that article, so post it. I believe tears are healthy! I seem to get a lot of them lately. I think Carrie holds it together pretty well compared to me.
Post a Comment