Would you believe that Brian Crane, the creator of the comic strip Pickles, emailed me today?
He was searching the Internet, stumbled upon our blog and the post from Feb. 27 where I shared a brief story that my father shared with me about an event from their childhood.
They grew up together on the same street in what used to be a small California town. In fact the photo at the top of this post is my father and Brian playing together when they were boys. Brian sent it to me yesterday and graciously allowed me to use it on this blog.
My father is traveling on business right now, so he is away from home. I contacted him last night on his cell phone and told him that I had forwarded him an email with Brain's contact information. He sounded excited at the prospect of contacting a childhood friend again.
As I spoke with my father yesterday, he brought up the story that I posted about the missionary fervor that took place in his neighborhood when he was a young man. He said that one of the missionaries who was involved in teaching all of his neighbors came back to the area after his mission and eventually married Brian's sister.
A few years later after my father had married and moved to Livermore he was a stake missionary under the leadership of this former missionary, then a stake mission leader.
After my father shared this information with me he said, "the story continues."
4 comments:
Wow! Amazing how small the world is with the internet around!
Did you see the article in today's Desert Morning News about this very cartoon and creator? It was quite interesting. I know somebody who talked to somebody famous. Go Paul. JCV
I am Brian Crane's sister, now Vicki Bigelow, who married that missionary who did so much work on Lloyd Avenue. I used to baby-sit for your father and his brothers. We now live in South Jordan, UT. Brian gave me the link to your blog. It was interesting to read your article on the fruits of that missionary work. My husband said he remembered Ray Romer wrote short stories--it sounds like the talent was passed down!
That's cool stuff! Interesting!
Post a Comment