I voted today for the person who I think should lead America for the next four years. It is a vote that will probably matter little when the race for the Republican nomination is finished, but I expressed my opinion.
In the past I have wondered why people vote for fringe candidates like Ralph Nader -- candidates that they know don't have a prayer to win.
I understand those types of votes a little bit better after today. Sometimes a vote is cast from the head and other times it comes from the heart.
I understand that there have been many Republicans in this Primary who have voted Democrat in an effort to give a boost to the most beatable Democratic candidate in the race. I suppose this is a logical vote, or a vote from the head. I am not comfortable making this type of vote at this time.
Today, I voted on principle for a man who has already withdrawn from the race. Some would argue that such a vote means nothing, but to me it meant a lot. The vote came from the heart and it was a message about the way I feel about the more popular choices that remain.
I would really like to cast a vote with my heart and mind for a candidate I feel was was born to be president. In this primary election the closest I could come to that ideal was voting for the man who apparently once owned a station wagon like the one my mom used to drive me around in when I was a child.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
The Texas Primary Election
Posted by
Paul
at
4:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I voted today as well. I believe I voted with hope. Hope that my vote would say I wanted people in position that have moral strength before political asperations. My conscience is clear.
I am proud to say I voted for who I thought should be the president too. It was a sad day when he decided to get out of the race, hopefully he will be back in 4 years.
I too voted in a way I felt best. See my blog for my long-winded explanation.
My approach was in the mind set of "Romney pulled out, who's my second-best choice? I want to let my voice affect the best possible outcome even though the candidate is not my first choice."
I told Jamie that I voted for "him" and he was like "but he's not in the race" and I said 'but his name was still on the ballot!". I mean, I was shocked and releived all at the same time. Jamie voted from the head, switching parties and all. I was surprised, yet I do understand.
Post a Comment