I was a substitute for Sister Vance in seminary for two days last week but there was one area that I fell woefully short.
I was surprised on Thursday how bad the singing was from the group of seminary students. Although I am not blessed with an ear for music, I decided to lead out to encourage more singing from the young students.
At the time nobody said anything about my effort and there was no real measurable result.
The next morning I learned the impact of my singing when one of the students announced the hymn and politely told me that I didn't need to sing. Surprised, I asked, "Does Sister Vance not sing with you in the morning?"
"No, she does," was the reply. "It's just that she actually sings well."
I smiled and laughed heartily. I know my singing limitations.
It was after this exchange, however, that true leadership was on display. The young man stood in front of the room and sang loudly and on key. And I tried to follow along as best I could.
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Youth Leadership
Posted by
Paul
at
3:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I guess that's what you get for your comment about their singing. I always wanted to sing, but I'm sure you and I are equal in that department.
I think that if you hadn't sung, he wouldn't have taken the lead. Good job for at least trying.
Wow, you are brave to take on a group of teens! That's one of my worst nightmares! (I probably shouldn't have just said that!)
I haven't known quite what to say Paul. All singing is welcome in my class room. In fact I prefer that all the students sing. This group isn't very cordial about that or to each other. In fact the ones who don't want to sing actually make fun of the ones who do sing. I am most grateful to the people who still try to do what is right even though others make fun of them. I am sorry you were treated unkindly. I still believe you were the right sub for those days. They loved having donuts both days. They said you were awesome for bring them donuts, twice. Thanks again and keep singing. It is what is in your hear that matters with singing. Ask the kids now that we have studied Psalms.
Post a Comment