
In the book of Corinthians, chapter 15, a question is asked, "why are they...baptized for the dead?"
It's a curious question that I believe most Christianity either ignores or treats cursorily. For Mormons the question naturally leads to a discussion about how the Gospel of Jesus Christ is what it portends to be: the way for all mankind to recieve salvation and eternal life, even those who never had an opportunity to hear about it in their own lifetime.
I have heard the Mormon doctrine of baptism for the dead explained away and ridiculed by people of other faiths. I know at times it has been a lightening-rod issue between the Mormon and Jewish communities.
Some people take the time, however, to ask questions and glean understanding. One such person is Manya Brachear, a reporter for the Chicaco Tribune. She wrote a column about baptism for the dead from a non-Mormon perspective. It's titled Bridging a Jewish-Mormon rift -- Grandpa's baptism opens door.
I found her words -- her perspective -- enlightening and highly recommend it to anybody who enjoys reading something that is well put together.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Baptism for the dead
Posted by
Paul
at
8:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Paul, I really enjoyed reading the reporters story about her family. You're right it was well written and explained about Baptism for the dead pretty well. Thanks for the link. Faye
Great story-I will share it with my family.Thanks
Robert+Kelly=4boys
Paul A. (regarding your reference to the Book of Mormon); today while riding home with my co-workers, I mentioned that I have been neglecting my reading at night. One of the guys stated, "Yeah like reading your Book of Mormon." I am not sure how he meant it, but either meaning - he is correct. Love, Paka
Post a Comment