Wednesday, October 8, 2008

can I tell you a secret?


I'm right handed. (No, that's not the secret.) And for the last two mornings, I've had to shower and wash my hair with only my left hand. Turns out--it's not that easy!

Now, ready for the secret? You can't tell my mom or sister. Because they'll get mad. And they'll stop giving me free stuff. So don't tell. Here it is: I cut out a large chunk of my right middle finger while slicing potatoes with the Pampered Chef mandolin my sister gave me. Ya, I know--gross.

I was freaked out at first because I didn't know how bad it was (too much blood). So I grabbed a bunch of paper towels and just squeezed. I'm no boy scout, but "apply pressure" and "elevate" kept coming to mind. So I did both. Because it was a bleeder and I was a little scared.

I'm okay now. But I still don't want to get it wet. I've kept a band-aid and ointment on constantly. It's healing, and it's only bled a tiny bit today. I'd be much better off if I would stop banging it on things.

Now, remember...don't tell my mom. Somehow--I swear I don't know how--I got the reputation of being careless/dangerous/hazardous around knives. And I hate it when I validate that reputation. My mom has actually gone shopping, bought Tonya a brand new knife, came home, told me about Tonya's new knife, and looked me in the eye and said, "you don't get one because you'll cut yourself." Can you imagine?

So lets keep this minor accident just between us, okay?

4 comments:

Larry said...

You sound like a boy scout administering first aid. Did you get that follow-on aid that you should get? Was there tissue severed? Do you have your immunizations current? Be careful when you are driving down the road with you one bandaged hand up in the air because other drivers may get the wrong idea.

I hope you recover quickly.

Kari said...

Brandy!! Been there, done that!! I can totally identify. Love your new (to me) background! Happy Healing.
Kari

TonyaKuykendall said...

Um, if you don't want us to know, you shouldn't put it on your blog, silly girl. I TOLD YOU TO USE THE GUARD. I TOLD YOU THAT IT WOULD CUT YOUR FINGER OFF. I'll bring you wingstop to make you feel better.....

What is it about yesterday???? Jason sliced his hand open too. He was working on a sprinkler system and improperly used a sharp tool and it resulted in a bad cut. I don't know what I'm going to do with you two....

PS. Don't you love the Rada knives Mom got you? Oh, wait.. you didn't get any... Oh, well they're great!. (which btw, I don't understand because I got stitches when I was younger by playing around with Dad's new utility scraper.. guess Mom won't be buying me one of those...)

Garza Family said...

Ha ha, that's too funny! It reminds me of being at Mark and Heidi's the other day and he gave me a HUGE knife to slice olives, I could barely control the thing and insisted on a smaller one. I don't have knives like that in my home, I'm a steak knife kinda girl...it all works!