I got a call today from a television reporter asking me to do an interview for a package to be aired tonight. It seems he did some investigative reporting and found out that I talked to a death row inmate by cell phone. That inmate was arrested in his cell today while he was speaking on that phone -- not to me, thank goodness.
On Oct. 9, I wrote about a mysterious person contacting me about interviewing an inmate on death row. Well, it turns out that that mysterious person was the actual criminal himself, who had somehow smuggled a cell phone into the prison. An investigation into the use of the phone began on Oct. 8 after the inmate contacted a Texas state senator in an effort to secure special visitation privileges for his grandmother, who was coming to visit him.
An emergency hearing of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee has been called for 1:30 p.m. tomorrow. The senator who brought this to light wants to know how in the world cell phones make it to what is supposed to be the most secure place in the Texas prison system. There have been 19 investigations into the use of cell phones this year on death row in Texas.
My story about this event will print tomorrow morning. The Austin American Statesman printed an interesting story today that details some of the events that led to this person getting caught. The story is available here.
So, you may wonder why I didn't do the television interview. Well, to put it simply, people hated the story I wrote about the inmate. Calls complaining about it came in all day and the letters to the editor were still coming in today. He is a dark person who disturbs people.
As a reporter, I often serve as a conduit of information for the masses. There are many, many people who don't want to read any more about how this guy feels or thinks, me included. And I certainly don't want to be linked to his illegal activities by having my mug on television.
Monday, October 20, 2008
When the table was turned
Posted by
Paul
at
8:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Very interesting.To bad people responded with all the negative voice. It did stir emotion didn't it.The sensitive nature of the story and all.
I agree, enough said.
Mom.
I enjoyed the story even if it was hard to read and think about.I thought a lot about the face of what we think is evil-your photo showed a boy but the words tell of a killer.A good story is suppose to get you to feel something,to speak out.Stir things up.
Robert+Kelly=4boys
You think it was hard to read, try writing it on a deadline. I stopped in the middle of writing to attend my son's football game.
I think what disturbed people the most were the pictures that we ran with the story. In the letters to the editor people complained about the story but always made reference to the photos.
If we ran that story with just a straight on shot of that man, I suspect there would have been few if any complaints. Many around the newsroom feel like it will be competetive for an AP award. I'm confident we'll be submitting it.
As the letters came pouring in, I made sure my editors knew that I wanted every one of them in the paper. I think it is important for a paper to give its readers a voice.
What is funny is that I wrote the story. I am the man responsible for getting it published, but I agreed with the opinions of many people who wrote letters.
Paul, I thought that was the best articles you have written. You left the obvious conclusion to your readers while giving the wasted soul a benefit of our mercy. I am not in the mercy frame of mind when it comes to killers and other people who destroy the lives of others. Perhaps the people he killed deserved to die but that is not our choice to make. The only benefit I can think of that a communist society offers is these dregs of humankind would already be dead and out of our world left to deal with their pain and suffering in the afterlife. I hope he calls me on my cell phone, but he will not enjoy the conversation. Perhaps he did not have the early childhood he deserved. To those I suggest bury the pain and get on with a productive life. This is not an ideal world we live in. r/ Paka
Post a Comment