Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Breaking the ice on death row

So, how do you start an interview with a convicted killer on death row?


I walked to the interview area, picked up the telephone, looked him in the eye and said "you don't look so tough. If this thick glass wasn't between us, I would tear you up right now."

I won't reveal any other details about the interview because I haven't even started putting the story together yet.

I will say, however, that the Texas Department of Criminal Justice official who works with the press is great -- very personable and professional. An Associated Press reporter was interviewing an inmate scheduled for execution tomorrow. I was told he is a regular at the prison, as it's his job to write stories about each inmate before he is executed. He also witnesses all executions.

Interesting job. I was glad to just visit one time. Unless something unusual happens, I hope never to go back. There are plenty of interesting stories closer to home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you really say that??? What was his response??? Hurry and write the story you know I have an enquiring mind, that's why The Star and The Enquirer is still in business. You know I'm right. HAHA, Can't wait to read it. L/Faye

Paul said...

He went nuts, starting frothing at the mouth and clawing the thick glass between us.

Actually, he laughed. My delivery was not as forceful as I would have liked.

It was a good way to start because it set him at ease, made him feel comfortable with me. He was pretty open about things, but I wonder about his truthfulness. He has no integrity.

The whole experience for me was like passing through a black fog where you emerge at the other end and the darkness is gone but you can still feel it.

I'll be happy to get this story behind me soon.

Anonymous said...

He is lucky there was glass between you both !
I cant wait to read your story.I wonder how he answered,did he have a problem with eye contact or stumbling his words when it came to the truth-did he have little signs of instability or was he straight,calm and cold ? I will be waiting.
Kelly+Robert=4boys

Paul said...

There were no nervous twitches or poblems with eye contact. Sometimes he offered trite explanations other times he was surprisingly insightful.

I could only tell if he was lying through context. I know he lied to me a few times during the interview -- mostly about small details -- and suspected he lied during other exlanations.

He does not want to be remembered as a monster. That he is not, but he is a sad, lonely and dangerous individual who admits he is where he belongs.

Paul said...

Faye,

At end of our conversation, he asked me who I was voting for in the coming election. When I told him I was undecided, he said, "We need change. Vote for Obama."

I told him that I'm sure Obama would appreciate the endorsement but that I would not be including that in my story.

Anonymous said...

Oh,makes me want to sit in the sun.Away from the dark side, far, far away.I am sad that people end there lives, ending others lives.
It is all so very sad.
Mom.

Anonymous said...

Paul A., if he would vote for Obama, he is where he needs to be. Can I say that on your BLOG? Love, Paka