Mike Le should have graduated from Granada High School with the Class of 1989 but he had an incident at a football game where for a brief moment he turned into Bruce Le.
I don't remember all the details but I do know that he got into a fight in an outhouse (a little odd, I know) and, as a result, ended up getting suspended from school. After that incident his parents made him move out of town.
I believe I first met Mike early one morning when we were both paper boys. I can't remember if I threw for the Contra Costa Times or the Tri-valley Herald or both. Anyway, I think we also played on the same little league baseball team one year.
Some of my most memorable times with Mike also involve cars.
When we were both too young to drive he took his parents Volvo for a joyride. I remember speeding down Isabel Lane with him in the rain. I believe he was going nearly 100 mph when we hit a massive puddle that covered the entire road and was about twice the size of the car.
The impact momentarily split the puddle in two and created massive waves on both sides of the car -- and the car died.
We spent a long time panicking and trying to figure out what to do. The car wouldn't start. How was he going to tell his parents that he took their car for a joyride at 14 and ran it through a puddle so hard that it just stalled? What if somebody stopped and offered to help us? What if a police officer drove up? As we were contemplating our fate somehow the car magically started.
As I recall it didn't run real well after that and the windshield wipers no longer worked -- the radio and tape deck might also have stopped working, but I'm not sure about that. I do know that we were able to get the car back to the garage and then I don't know what happened between Mike and his parents.
The other Mike Le car story happened after he was of legal age to drive. He had gotten a job at a grocery store -- Nob Hill, I believe -- as a sacker. While working there he had occasion to speak with another high school student who was a grade or two above him in school. He found out that not only was this girl beautiful and popular but she was charming and treated him nice.
Although none of his other friends knew this girl, he would randomly bring her name up and talk about her beauty and brag that he had conversations with her.
I think it's because of his bragging ways that I remember him telling me that one day he was driving his car and saw this girl driving her car. He turned his head and waved at her and then immediately crashed into the back end of the car in front of him.
I remember him expressing relief that she never even saw him.
One thing about Mike: every time I saw or heard about him making waves while in a car, it never turned out well.
And his car stories go beyond him making waves. I didn't even share the story of when he was shooting bottle rockets from his car one Fourth of July and got chased by a truckload of angry young men, one of whom pointed a shotgun at Mike's car. That chase ended with Mike taking a corner too sharp and skidding across a person's driveway and into their side yard. Mike was lucky enough not to do any major property damage and an unintended consequence was that his car looked like it was parked and those who were chasing him sped into the night right on past him.
As for what he is doing now, I know that he ended up joining the military after he graduated from a high school that wasn't nearly as cool as Granada. Last I heard he was out of the military and living in Sunnyvale.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Mike Le
Posted by
Paul
at
7:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hurray for sick teacher and fablouse subs like Brandy. Congrats. Do you best.
Paul! This is Mike! Haha great write-up! Your memories are very vivid and I think quite accurate. I for one don't quite remember the details like you do. Then again I got into bigger trouble through the years, so the trouble I got in back then are really quite little if you were to compare =) But also I should add that did I manage to stay out of the really big trouble.
If your wondering how I got here, I found Kieth on Face Book and he pointed me to this page.
Your blog is correct, I enlisted in the Army after high school graduating with a 1.99 GPA (or something like that). The Army was good for me and eventually I took College Classes while I was in, which continued after I got out. Eventually, I graduated from San Jose State with Bachelors in Electrical Engineering and have been working in the high tech industry ever since.
I moved a lot after college graduation. To places such as Denver, Boston, NH, back to the Bay Area, Vegas; now I am in San Diego. Not to mention my job as a Systems Engineer took me all over the country. So between the Army and past work, I have pretty much seen the whole world.
As for the car, believe it or not, everything just needed to dry out. I cleaned her up real good and the next day when my parents took the car out, it all worked! ahhaha talk about a miracle. So basically they never found out about our joy ride. Remember how we took the car that day and ran into John Schnitters brother (who was legally old enough to drive) and we just waved at him while laughing? He was probably thinking WTH? ahahha
I look back at my life now and feel truly blessed that I met people like you along the way. God has given me a great life and I do treasure all the memories. I know I was not a complete angel, and I may have done some bad things. I hope the people I did not treat too well learned to forgive me.
That girl you mentioned, well her name was Lisa Souza. Man she was hot, probably still is, and yeah she made going to work easy! I was going to ask her to the junior prom too if I did not get in that little incident. Probably would have gotten denied by her, but it was worth a shot. Thinking back, she was probably the only girl I was really really into back at Granada. I wonder where she is now?
Anyways, it is great that you wrote this blog about me. I considered you one of my best friends growing up and will never forget the crazy times we had together.
All I can say is mike me was always cool, now he seems cooler then ever.
Mike,
Glad to see you found my blog. I'll be in touch.
Paul, If my mom happens to find this page, I am thinking there is a statute of limitation on these kind of things. I can't get in trouble anymore since it's been over 20 years... I think.
Post a Comment