Sunday, September 2, 2007

Family History

Some things you just have to write down. Today, our oldest son, Paul, received the Faith in God award. He actually had his Bishop's interview 3 weeks ago, but with speaking assignments in Hillsboro and the Bishop being gone last Sunday morning, it had to wait until today. I think he was pretty nervous about going up to the pulpit to receive the award, but he handled that part beautifully. What wasn't so beautiful was when the Bishop said, "Paul doesn't know I'm going to do this, but I want him to recite one of the Articles of Faith." And then the Bishop sat down and left Paul standing there beside the pulpit--alone. He calmly stepped to the microphone and looked out. And looked out. And looked out some more. I wanted so badly to yell out "We believe." He was saying nothing. Then he quickly, and perfectly recited number 6: We believe in the same organization that existed in the primitive church, namely apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

We later asked him to tell us what he was thinking at that moment. He said that he was okay until he looked out at all the people sitting in the chapel, and then he saw how far back the chairs extended into the cultural hall. All he could think about was the amount of people (see previous post "263"). Now, I have to say that Paul knows all the Articles of Faith. He's known most of them for a long time now--having recently added number 13. But he said he couldn't think of any of them at that moment. Then the song came to mind. He focused on getting the tune in his head and that's what lead to the words. Thank goodness. Whew. The Primary song came through in a pinch. The only Article of Faith song that Paul's been taught is the song to number 6, so that is the article he chose to recite. I don't know what he would have done if he were asked to recite a second one.

Don't let this story fool you. I am very proud of Paul. I hope he's learned a valuable lesson. There were many Sundays when I'd hear, "Mom, I'm bored. I have nothing to do." That's when I'd say, "Get your Faith in God book." That was always met with a groan of some sort. I remember recently asking him if 1) he was complaining because he really didn't want to do it and he doesn't care about the award or 2) he really didn't want to do it but he'll be glad when he's finished and he's earned the award. He chose the latter. I hope he learned that achievements come with a cost. You have to pay first, then get your reward later--so don't complain while you're paying. I hope that as he's working toward his Eagle Scout, or his high school diploma, or his PhD (a mom can hope, right?) that he will look back at this first major accomplishment and remember that he didn't want to do the mundane activities that really were lacking the "fun" factor, but that after the requirements were all accomplished, he could meet with his Bishop and declare his worthiness to receive what he had earned. And he could have pride in his obedience, and the example he set for others, and the love and respect he showed the Savior as he did what was asked of him. After all, it is the Savior in whom we have faith. And it is that faith that brings us closer to God.

4 comments:

mistyp said...

I loved watching how prepared he was for scouts. You should be proud of him! He seems like such a nice young man!

The Nielsens said...

Congratulations Paul. I'm proud of you too!!! That is a worthy accomplishment.

H and I were just talking about finishing his faith in God, he is so close.

karin said...

He will be so glad that he completed this. I know I am glad I completed the YW stuff, not that I wanted to but I can say that I did it.

Stamp With Linz said...

I was dying for him...I just kept smiling, hoping that would help...I could see ya'll going "We believe". Way to go Paul! You did it with flying colors!