Last night Brandy and I stayed up all night talking. The last and only other time we did that was the night before Paul Ivan was born. She was in intense pain, and I was too shell shocked to say anything intelligent or interesting--like she would have cared either way. The latest opportunity came because Brandy apparently has gallstones. At first our conversation last night and in the early morning hours was a bit strained and one-sided, but her pain eventually subsided and we just talked and talked and talked. It looks like she'll have her gallbladder removed tomorrow.
The children have responded well. Rebekah made Isaac his school lunch, and Isaac was as cooperative as I've ever seen him early in the morning. Paul Ivan made cinnamon rolls for breakfast and volunteered to make dinner tomorrow night. Emma was afraid of the IV in Brandy's arm and cried when she heard mom was spending the night at the hospital. Luckily I was given instructions on how to be an enabler by reading a post Brandy made within the past month. I just set Emma up with one of her favorite cartoons and her concerns seemed to melt away.
I don't want Brandy to ever have to go through such an ordeal again, but after things calmed down early this morning it sure felt like a date. There is nothing like talking to your best friend during a crisis. I went home feeling good even though I knew she faced surgery. It's hard to articulate my feelings and just how positive I feel about this whole situation, but I understand more intimately now the phrase in 2 Nephi 31:20, where Nephi refers to "a perfect brightness of hope," because that is what I experienced today.

6 comments:
I hope everything goes well, I will be praying for her.
Isn't it great how kids can pull together and help when they need to and that something as simple as a routine of watching a cartoon in the morning can calm the nerves of a worried little girl. And that the longer you are married, you count hospital visits as dates if you are alone.
I am so proud of the kids, they really pull together when it is needed. You can always buy Miss Emma's calmness with Calliou or Dora. With those in her world she's fine.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you , Brandy, and with Paul and the kids. How wonderful that they are will to volunteer and make life better for each other!
Keep us updated! PLEASE! :) Tonya called & everything went well, but didn't know details, so please let us know when you do.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Brandy!
Wow! Two people in the ward with that going on! Crazy. Sounds like you have amazing kids. Hope Brandy is recovering well. Good luck!
It sounds like your kids are great helpers. We hope Brandy's recovery goes well and we will keep her in our prayers.
Post a Comment