It was around 1989 when my love of TV news began. I was a freshman in high school and it was the beginning of Desert Storm. I was living in Hawaii and going to a large high school right outside the gates of both Pearl Harbor Naval Base and Hickam Air Force Base. A large percentage of the students were military kids, myself included. When the war first began, all the school TVs were tuned to war coverage. When I would go home after school, I would turn on CNN any moment I could.
The war was short-lived, but my CNN viewing was not. I discovered that a lot was going on in the world. A lot of different things were happening to a lot of different people. I liked to hear about it. And I still do. After all, if nothing else is on, Headline News will have something!
Every morning I watch Good Morning America. Emma calls it "Mommy's show." I usually have it on while I piddle around the house picking up a few things here and there, and if I get too busy and Emma notices, she'll kindly ask if she can turn it to her show. I always say, "yes." In the evenings, we're way too busy to have the TV on, so I miss the evening news, but before we go to bed, we always watch the 10 o'clock news.
That is a lot of background just to tell you what Emma said tonight. During dinner Isaac looked out the window and loudly said, "A storm is coming!" (the trees were blowing hard and the sky was cloudy). Emma immediately responded just as loudly and said, "Let's turn on the TV and see what is going on!" That's an interesting thought coming from a 3-year-old. I'm sure she's probably asked me about 500 times why I am watching the news and I've probably told her that it was so I would know what was going on. I'm just amazed that a girl who I accuse of never listening to me is apparently listening very closely.
Wednesday, September 5, 2007
CNN got me hooked.
Posted by
Brandy
at
3:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I LOVE how kids pick up on things. I am always surprised when it happens too. Since I have been become a mom, I haven't been able to watch news, unless someone calls me and tells me to turn it on.
I love the news too, I just never get to watch it...but when something big is going on, you can expect me in front of the tv- wanting every last details. :)
At least you know she listens and pays attention to the things you say and do! :)
Bran, I only call Miss Emma Quatro because I must learn Spanish. Not many people in Panama speak English, so I must adjust. Dad
Post a Comment