Saturday, July 5, 2008

cub scout excitement

Isaac doesn't officially join Cub Scouts until his eighth birthday on August 16, but he has been invited to attend the super-fun, cool field trips the den is going on this summer. So this Wednesday Isaac attended his very first den meeting. I spent almost an hour on Wednesday taking off all the patches Paul earned during his time as a cub scout, and now Isaac has a clean, ready-to-adorn cub scout shirt in which to begin his journey.

We had Isaac looking spiffy. He had on his new shirt (I ironed it so the thread holes wouldn't be so apparent) and his yellow and blue neckerchief. I combed his hair--something that doesn't get done every day in the summer. He looked so cute. But we were in a hurry so I ushered everyone into the van so we wouldn't be late.

The cub scouts were meeting at the McGregor airport to tour our Bishop's airplane. A pilot from Waco I Ward was meeting the boys there and was going to explain how an airplane works and even let the boys sit in the two-seater aircraft.

Before we could go to the airport, we had to drop off Paul at the Bishop's house for a deacon quorum swim party.

About 5 minutes into our trip, I hear, "Isaac, you didn't!" Then laughter, then panic.

In all the haste to get out the door, Isaac grabbed his shoes to put them on in the van, but apparently didn't grab a matching pair. He had one tennis shoe and one church shoe. Turning back home was not an option. We were to pick up another deacon and take him to the swim party and turning back would definitely cause us to be late to the airport.


Paul tried to convince Isaac that he could just wear the two shoes and no one would notice. Um...I don't think so. So I did what any mother would do to save the pride and reputation of a brand new scout attending his first den meeting (no, there were no shoe stores on the way to the airport, but I thought about it.) I made Paul take off his black crocs and give them to Isaac to wear. Paul could just go swimming barefooted.

Wearing a pair of matching shoes a couple of sizes too big is better than wearing two mis-matched, right-sized shoes. At least that's what I decided on Wednesday.

5 comments:

Larry said...

The next best thing there is to wearing two shoes that do not match is to have your mother post a picture of them on a BLOG and tell the whole world about it. But that may be OK, because cub scouts don't normally read this BLOG?

Paul said...

Brandy only deserves a portion of the blame here. When she told me the story and showed me the two shoes we laughed for several minutes. I begged her for two days to post about it. We were actually glad he had shoes. He has gotten into the van at least twice without shoes before.

Larry said...

Are you going to tell this story at his wedding?

Anonymous said...

Cool becomming a cub scout.
That is so funny , well, he had two shoes.Now next time just slow down a little and look. Make sure the light is good. Some people out there have run off with one black and one brown shoe.
Mom B.

Stamp With Linz said...

That is too funny, I did that once- wore 2 different shoes to church. Would my parents take me home to change them? Nope. Good for you.