I didn't know him when it was announced in a regional church meeting that his college-age son had been struck by lightening but I remember the pall that settled over the meeting. This was serious and the family would be thankful for any prayers in their behalf.
The son -- named Josh -- died after he was taken off life support days later. I've since learned that the young man was courting a young woman and was ready to propose marriage.
Soon after this occurred I was called to a new position in church and twice a month for more than a year I have sat across from this man who lost his son. He has shared stories about how tender mercies have been extended to him and his wife during their time of mourning. There is no question in my mind that this whole experience has strengthened his family and his faith.
I have marvelled at how gracefully he has accepted this tragedy and never complained. As people tried to console him, he would express his faith in Jesus Christ and that he knew he would see his son again. I have never seen him express self pity when talking about losing his son, only gratitude for the time that the family spent with him while he was alive.
This man's son-in-law is my age and over the past several months has been involved in the same meetings with his father-in-law. The son-in-law sits next to me, across the table from the man.
During a meeting this morning the seat next to me was empty. I didn't think anything of it but the top regional church leader announced that the son-in-law might be gone because his wife had given birth to a baby.
The meeting continued on and the man across from me was given an opportunity to speak. He spoke about his new grandson and how when he held him for the first time his daughter and son told him that the boy would be called Josh.
When he said it I felt an electric feeling course through my body and my eyes welled up with tears. Sometimes there is unusual power in a name.
I heard the man share the story two other times this morning and the reaction from people was the same: broad smiles and knowing nods of the head.
This whole experience has reminded me of a passage of scripture from Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
1 comment:
Sad story of the loss of there son.
A new baby to carry on his name how precious a gift.
Mom B
Post a Comment