Monday, July 14, 2008

how good customer service ruined my week

Where have I been all week? Why haven't I blogged? Just blame it on good customer service...

On July 5, our family toured the Waco-area furniture stores in search of a bedroom set for the girls. Bunk beds in particular. After weighing all options, we decided on a beautiful set from Ashley Furniture. We were told to expect a call on July 17 to schedule a delivery date.

Now with this new furniture, Rebekah and I had planned a complete redecorating of the room. The antique white room had a wallpaper border about chest high, and the wall below the wallpaper was sponge-painted purple. That was all going to change. I figured I had about 2 weeks to work on the project, so I was going to take it slow. One or two things a day, with the weekend scheduled for the bulk of the painting. I also had to clear the room of all the existing furniture (no small task).

We spent Tuesday at Six Flags, so by Thursday I hadn't really started the room yet. Thursday afternoon, I was ironing when I got a call from Ashley Furniture. They wanted to deliver our furniture on SATURDAY!! An entire week early! I had one and half days to get the entire room ready. Almost immediately I started clearing the girls' room. I had already purchased the wallpaper-removing supplies, and one gallon of antique white paint, so I started removing the wallpaper border. That took hours. Forsaking all other responsibilities, I worked and worked until I had all the wallpaper removed, and three of the four walls painted. I ran out of paint.

So Friday morning I dragged Rebekah to Walmart to buy another gallon of paint and to pick out the accent colors. They didn't have the "right" lime green, but we settled due to the short time frame we were working in. I worked all day Friday, too. My hands, back, and feet all were very sore, but by Friday night, the room was completely empty, newly painted and the carpet was even shampooed.

The delivery truck showed up on Saturday, and look at it now. By Sunday night, we had the room looking just right. And it better stay this way!


And that's how good customer service ruined my ho-hum, lazy-day, relaxing week.

7 comments:

Andrea said...

...but now it's done and it is darling! Good job!

karin said...

It looks FABULOUS! I am impressed. It almost makes me want to take on a project, but now the baby is crying and I am reminded why I am not doing any projects right now and why I wait until late at night to post comments.

Stamp With Linz said...

Yeah! It looks awesome, love the stripe!

Anonymous said...

CUTE!!!!!!!!
ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grandma B.

mistyp said...

Looks great! Can't wait until we have a place we can paint/decorate how we want! Looks like you have happy girls in their new room!

Larry said...

What would have happened if your customer service had not come through?

Garza Family said...

I love the new bedroom set and you did a fantastic job on the paint..and cleaning of course. You are an amazing woman.