Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy Birthday to Brandy

Our family will celebrate Brandy's 33rd birthday today, which has caused me to reflect about our time together and how we became a couple.

Brandy and I met inauspiciously in my father's kitchen within a week after my mission ended. I flew into Waco not knowing a soul other than my family. My first Sunday home, ward members stopped by my father's house and introduced themselves to me during an open house.

At that event I was walking through the kitchen when I passed two girls and stopped to introduce myself. It was a brief encounter but it left an enduring impression on me because Brandy never once looked me in the eye, instead choosing to nervously scan the cabinetry behind me.

More than a year later she was back at the house -- this time with noticeably more self confidence.

We started talking more and writing letters to each other. She was a student at UT and I was working and going to school in Waco.

Eventually, I was invited to her parent's home and as I met them for the first time the nervousness returned for her in a big way. Her parents made references to inside family jokes that she obviously didn't want told. I remember our visit was very short. Her parents didn't want to push things too far and Brandy wanted out of there in the worst way.

I'm confident I've heard all the stories she feared would come out that day and, really, she had nothing to be concerned about. But the whole exchange helped me to be totally comfortable around her family. Somebody had to be the calm one.

Later when we were courting (I know it sounds so old fashioned but we didn't really date as we got to know each other) she taught me subtle lessons.

Like the time we were entering a mall in Austin and I hurried ahead of her and opened the door. Without hesitation she opened another door and walked through as I stood stunned still holding my door. When I asked her why she did it, she told me because it was obvious I was acting more out of duty than chivalry.

I have thought about this experience many times over the years. She didn't know it at the time but this was the shy girl stepping forward to let me know that if we were going to be together, we would do so side by side.

And after 14 years of marriage, I can honestly say that I wouldn't have it any other way. I love you Brandy.

5 comments:

Larry said...

A third of a century goes quickly. Happy birthday!

Kari said...

Happy Birthday, Brandy! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. HOPE IT WAS HAPPY. IT IS LATE HERE. I JUST GOT OFF WORK. LATTER THERE. OR I WOULD CALL.
LOVE, MOM B.

mistyp said...

Happy Belated Birthday! You are an amazing woman, Brandy! I learn a lot from reading both of your posts! Thanks for being great examples to all of us!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture.

Mom B