So, for the first time in a long time, we fed the missionaries tonight in our home. They are both new to our ward and one is new to the mission field. He just got in this week.
As we were eating dinner, I decided to spice up my chicken broccoli casserole with a dash of the extremely hot homemade salsa I made last night, mostly with items from our garden. The brand new missionary from Idaho decided to take me up on the invitation to add some extra spice to his meal, too.
As he finished up his meal, I noticed Elder Idaho (I have temporarily forgotten his name) was sweating from his brow and had a runny nose. It made me so proud -- and then he bragged on it and said that besides being hot, it had wonderful flavor.
As we were walking out the front door, Elder Idaho said, "It is like putting a noose around your neck."
What could make a man more proud than to have his salsa described in this way? I was thinking to myself that this day cannot get any better when it hit me. Elder Idaho's noose comment was not at all about my salsa. It was actually a comment about the 103 degree heat, which had an even greater impact on his Idaho sensitivities than did my salsa.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Salsa to Die for
Posted by
Paul
at
10:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is good to hear that your garden was productive. I suppose this means that Paul Ivan has earned his gardening MB.
Are you ready for some dueling salsa?
Several years ago in Littleton we went to a ward potluck. I took peppers from the garden. Among the peppers I took were some Hot Toms (Habanero). Elder Hutto was convinced by one of the young men of the ward to eat one of the Hot Toms. There was a sign by the peppers -- EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Elder Hutto popped the pepper into his mouth and commenced to eat it. He hopped up from his chair and ran to the bathroom, where he coated the bathroom with the meal that he had just consumed. He was a fair complected blond. When he returned from his sojourn in the restroom he was red faced. He was suffering.
I felt bad for him.
Missionaries are sometimes gullible.
Post a Comment