Our family went to Six Flags on Tuesday. Everybody except for Emma and Grandma rode The Titan, which is not your grandmother's roller coaster. In fact, there is no coasting at all on this ride.
I did some reading online about The Titan before we left home. One of the interesting facts about the coaster is that it reaches speeds in excess of 85 mph. From the comfort of my own home I thought: "What's the big deal? I'll be the one driving the family to the park and there is a chance we'll hit that speed on the freeway before we even enter the park."
After we got off the ride and talked about it, Brandy and I learned we had the same riding experience: the ride went so fast we could hardly keep your eyes open. I asked Rebekah, who hated the ride, if she had the same experience and she told me she didn't because she kept her eyes closed the whole time.
I was reflecting on the ride later that day and how a roller coaster had never had that affect on me. For a fleeting moment I thought "I've never experienced anything like that."
Then I remembered when Denny Knoll took me for a ride on his new motorcycle when we were both teenagers.
I believe he went that fast. And it was much more scary than The Titan. It was so scary, in fact, that I hugged him tighter than I have ever hugged any man until he let me off. When I got off the bike, I saw tears in his eyes -- but it wasn't from the extreme hug.
It was from the Titan-like wind that riding that fast creates. Now that I think about it, maybe it wasn't just the warnings of a mother that turned me off to motorcycles. Sometimes friends have a funny way of influencing a person.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
The Titan
Posted by
Paul
at
8:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I would not think to inquire about a ride before I went on it. My scarest time was on the sidwinder at Elitch Gardens in Denver. I have never been on a roller coatster type ride since.
In aforementioned, by Jeanette, ride at Elitch Gardens (now Six Flags) in Denver, Jeanette and some of the children went on the ride and I would not. I did not cherish the thought of going backwards off a precipice and not be in control. When the ride was finished, I was exonerated in my decision not to ride the ride.
I have driven an automobile to 150 miles per hour, and I have been on a motorcycle going over 60 mph without eye protection (foolishly), and I do understand the teary eyes. It is best I do not own a motorcycle. I have cherished riding a motorbike again.
You must be a thrill seeker.
Now you tell me! Motercycle and how fast.AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Well, it's been years. And you learned from the experience.Yes.
Do you remember the ride at Great America. You kids told me it wasn't that bad. It turned me upside down. Boy did I have a headache. Love, Mom.
I wanna ride! =)
I think you're brave!!!!
Lindsey, I'll sit next to you.... Although I secretly fear that my body is changing for the worst. That I will no longer be able to endure nonstop G Force action. Oh, the perils of getting older. I hope it stops...
I just wanted to comment because this makes 7 comments for the blog.
Keith
Roller coaster help people with expressing the strongest emotions because people tend to either love them or hate them. Maybe that's why this post has so many comments (this makes 8).
I don't and will never like or ride that ride agian
And this comment makes 10.
I like a thrill.
I even sometimes like to be startled.
I like to be in control.
When the thrill is near my threshold or exceeding my threshold I want to be able to moderate it. I like machines that have controls I control.
Seven is the magic number. I vote for Keith.
Post a Comment