I got an email from my mother this morning in which she shared an experience she had with her granddaughter Sarah. They were watching television together when Sarah looked up at her and said, "Grandma, can't you skip?"
I guess it sounded like a senior citizen challenge to my mother. Her youthful spirit came rushing back as she contemplated how she could indeed still skip.
"No," Sarah said, "you can't skip," further fueling the fire in my mother's belly -- or should I say legs, hips and arms?
"Yes, I can skip," my mother said.
"I don't think so," said eight-year-old Sarah.
Well, my mother did it. She proved an eight-year old wrong by skipping happily around the living room, which made Sarah laugh.
"No," Sarah said, "skip the TV."
It was then that my mom realized that her merry trip around the room was really not necessary to prove to the child she could skip. All she really had to do was push a button on the television remote and skip the commercials. The show they were watching had already been recorded.
I'm just glad my mother is not older than she is and didn't fancy skipping rocks in her youth because then it could have really gotten ugly.
Here's to the best skipper I know, My mother. I love you even though you don't skip as fast as you used to when I was a kid.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Hey Everybody -- My Mom can Still Skip
Posted by
Paul
at
10:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I LOVE IT...gotta love MOM. LOVE YOU MOMMY!
Communication is such a difficult thing.
Mom likes commercials still. I am just glad she didnt ask mom if she knew how to pause, then mom would have started acting like a mime.
The movie wasn't prerecorded. That is why she said I couldn't skip'
Mom B.
Post a Comment