August is proving to be the most demanding month for me. We've been getting a hint of it over the last few years, but this year is the real test--the beginning of what it's going to be like for the next 6 or so years.
All four of our kids are starting school.
You know what that means: clothes, shoes, and supplies galore!
As of today, I'm almost done with the supplies. Just a few things like Kleenex and sandwich baggies that weren't in the school aisle in Super Walmart and I was too tired to walk the mile to other side of the store. I'm proud, though, because I've saved a ton of money. The schools give you the option of purchasing supplies from them, but it's like $40-$50 per kit. Ouch! But...with sales and supplies we already had, I spent about $60 for 3 kids! (since Emma is in pre-kindergarten, they require a flat-fee instead of separate supplies. And I paid that back in May when I registered her.)
Now with clothes, we are NOT going fancy here. I told Rebekah last night that our one rule while shopping at the mall is that we are not buying anything not on sale. So she didn't get much. But then again, she didn't need much. So...Emma and Rebekah are done for clothes. The boys still need pants, but it won't get cold here for a very long time, so I'm not hurrying on this one. And they are both growing so fast, that if I buy them too soon, they won't fit when it's time to wear them.
On to shoes...oh, shoes. There's no way around this one. Paul Ivan needs tennis shoes and football cleats (yes, he's decided to join football!). Bek needs tennis shoes and shoes to match all her clothes. She's starting middle school, and the dress requirements are all different now. Since she'll dress-out for PE, she can wear flip-flops and sandals to match skirts and dresses. Oh, help us! This could get expensive. Isaac and Emma are still in the "one-pair-of-tennis-shoes" phase of school. They go to PE and the playground everyday, so they have to wear tennis shoes. That's the way I like it.
I'm not telling you this to elicit pity for us. This is kinda exciting--in a way--sorta--okay, it's not. But it does make me wonder how those with 6, 8, 10 kids do it. I'm glad I'll never know.
Well, in my summary of August, I've left one little thing out. Birthdays. Yep, we've got two of them. One week apart. Our two youngest. Isaac will be eight on the 16th and Emma will be four on the 23rd. We're gearing up for party-central.
Will you do me a favor, though? Right after Christmas, will you remind me to start saving up for August? Next year's not going to be any better.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
ahhh...August
Posted by
Brandy
at
8:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Are there child labor laws in Texas?
Yes, there are. That is why my son decided to work hard and earn his own money mowing the lawn. But where do you think the lawn mowing money comes from?
It will be cool to see Paul in Football, I didnt know he was doing that.
Keith
I don't look forward to the days of buying school stuff. Good luck!
I REMEMBER HOW I BOUGHT ALL MY BOYS SOCKS FOR SCHOOL. I WAS AMAZED AT HOW EXPENSIVE SOCKS FOR FIVE BOYS WAS.
I FELT GOOD TOO. THEY EACH HAD A BIG NEW PACKAGE OF NEW WHITE SOCKS FOR SCHOOL.THEN ON WITH THE NEXT SHOPPING.I DON'T REMEMBER THAT SO MUCH. MOM B.
The school clothes and supplies also add up at our house-but the school lunches my boys pack could feed a soccer team !
Kelly+Robert=4boys
An old friend from Livermore who has enjoyed reading the family blog.
Post a Comment