Tonight I gave my mountain bike that I have not ridden in years to Paul Ivan. As Brandy and I watched Paul ride down the street, I was reminded about why we purchased the bike and why almost immediately it started to gather dust.
We purchased the bike as transportation for me to and from BYU when I was a new student. At the time we were living in married student housing a few blocks from the football stadium. I remember being surprised on the first day of school at how fast I got going just cruising down a small hill near the stadium.
While I was still traveling at an impressive clip of speed, I made a decision to ride on the sidewalk. Before I entered a driveway near the stadium, I noticed that the lip on the lowered portion of the sidewalk was a little thick. But I didn't let that deter me.
I wish it would have.
My front tire hit the lip at an odd angle and it started sliding. I ended up taking a pretty good spill, breaking my glasses and getting a nice little bit of road rash on the left side of my face.
There was no way I was going to miss my first day of school, so I soldiered on. I remember limping through huge crowds between classes. I even had one of those golf carts that give visitors tours drive beside me for what seemed like the longest time. It was a humbling experience.
I'll never forget the shock on Brandy's face when we met up on campus.
That, I believe, was the last time I rode that bike to school. I'm happy to report that Paul Ivan's maiden voyage went much more smoothly.
Saturday, August 9, 2008
My First Day at BYU
Posted by
Paul
at
10:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment