Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cat Rescue

My mother was never angrier than when she thought somebody was trying to intentionally hurt her children. I remember her getting crazy mad a few times growing up. She wasn't mad at me, but I remember the look in her eyes and how it scared me.

Did you know that even people without children can get "crazy mad?"

There is a person who works with me in the same building who doesn't have any children. He is a man approaching retirement age, a cat lover. He has several cats at home that are treated better than some people treat their children. And he has taken to feeding a family of ally cats that live behind the building where I work.

I walked by these cats without paying any attention to them for two years, but even I noticed that when he started feeding them dry and wet cat food that some of them started to have glistening coats. He has a goal of taming these cats enough to catch one of them and get it into a good home. I keep telling him I'm not interested but he only hears what he wants to hear.

So this man has been feeding these cats for months now, and it hasn't always been easy. He comes down on his days off. A person who apparently doesn't like cats took his VERY NICE feeding dishes and chucked them in the trash. The man simply dug them out and continued on. But it made him mad and he clearly wanted to confront the person who he thought did it.

I talked him out of it.

Today while this man was out of the office there was an intense thunder storm with heavy rain. Shortly afterward a woman came up to me asking for the cat lover. She had a small kitten in her arms. It was one of the alley cats. It became frightened by the storm and was wandering down a busy street and she saved it. She wanted to find cat lover to give it to him because she already had FIVE cats at her home.

Within the hour cat lover was back in his office and I told him "you missed the cat rescue."

The man immediately became so angry that he would not even let me tell him the story. Over and over again he just kept saying "go ahead tell me what happened!" He thought the cats that he had cared for for months were being exterminated by whoever was throwing his dishes away -- he didn't say that, I saw it in his eyes. They were the eyes of my mother in a rage.

Meow.

I have to give my mom credit. When her kids were growing up she loved them so much that at times it made her into a crazy woman. And strange as it may seem, it is the same way for Mr. Catman.

Hiss, hiss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Purrfect Hisstory . They say a Mom can be as fearce as a Lion defending her cubs.With 5 boys and 2 girls it was hard to scratch up a living. At least I stayed away from the catnip.And you kids turned out purrfectly fine.
Meom.