Thursday, August 21, 2008

countdown


Ladies and gentlemen, it's all about to end. The summer, a house full of kids, high electricity bills, exorbitant food costs...all of it. I can't wait.

Well, I can and can't. I'm torn. I, like my kids, get bored in the summer. Too many kids, too little money to do fun things all the time (and too hot for parks and playgrounds). So I'm ready for some structure and purpose. But I'll miss my kids and their funny ways. Mixed in with all the frustrating fighting and tattling, there's always the endearing, precious moments.

This is also marking the end of a long era in my life. I've been babysitting for the last five years. The first three years I babysat for teachers' children, so I had the summertime free. But the last two years I've babysat full-time for family--a niece and a nephew. But with Emma starting school, I'm not going to be staying at home anymore. I've put in my application to be a substitute teacher in our school district, and I've started the process to be certified as a teacher. (the teacher thing is still up in the air a bit, but I'm just trying to prepare for the future if the need arises.)

So, when Monday comes, and all four of my children head off to public school, I'll be alone. I've been a stay-home-mom for 12 years, so I'm confident that although I'll be alone, it'll be some while before I start to feel lonely. Yeehaw!

(but for income sake, I hope the school district needs me sooner rather than later!)

4 comments:

karin said...

Change is hard. I know someone who recently went through having her last start school, it is a hard transition. I hope the school district needs you in about two weeks. You will have to keep us updated on everything.

Garza Family said...

Yay, fun fun fun...I'm sure you'll fine tons to do "in the beginning"

Anonymous said...

All four of our boys start school soon.The oldest college and the youngest 1st grade.Its strange to be so ready for the 18yr.old to leave and then I cant let go of the other.(They both act simular)
Its good that the middle children balance the emotions at times.
Its all bitter sweet.
I wish you luck.
Kelly+Robert=4boys
Maybe I'll put "having a girl" on my boys "back to school list". lol

Shawnie said...

Wow! I think substituting could be good since you are not always committed to be at work. Good luck with the certification.