Friday, January 4, 2008

Bad Joke?

Paul Ivan has been a regular at the allergy doctor's for a couple of years now. We visit with the doctor every 3 months (in addition to his monthly shot), but even so I can't believe that the doctor would know us personally. He's got a lot of patients, and our 5-minute visit can't leave too lasting of an impression.

Our doctor has a sense of humor. Or at least tries to. He's Indian, as in from India, and he speaks with a thick accent just like the one's in the movies. I don't always catch everything he says.

Paul had his routine check-up this morning. The doctor walked in the room, and as always, shook our hands and asked how we were doing. I'm not always sure if that is a social or medical question. He is the doctor, after all. But I answer that we're fine, but Paul is suffering with bad congestion. He begins to examine Paul, very briefly may I add, and as he is doing so, he says, "I know what is wrong with you." He paused, then said, "You need to go back to school."

We all laugh, and I say, "Yes, I'm sending him back on Monday."

Then he says something like, "Oh, that is what mom needs."

I said, "Oh, you've seen my house."

His response: "No, I see it in your face."

In my face? Really? But I put make-up on today. I admit I skipped putting it on a couple days this week, but I made sure I looked okay to leave the house today. Surely I didn't already look stressed out at 10am. I feel fine. What could he have seen in my face?

Maybe I just didn't get his joke.

3 comments:

karin said...

Maybe since he sees you so regularly he can tell, like a friend. Sounds like you see him about as regularly as I see some people from church. I wouldn't take it the wrong way. My doctor in Waco kept me at an appointment for me longer than usual because she knew Bryan was watching the boys and "knew I needed a break."

Larry said...

The only makeup you need is a smile. There is nothing that can change a persons appearance faster than the expression on their face. Keep smiling.

I liked the jokes.

Michele said...

He probably saw in your face what we all have found ourselves in posession of, which is the longing for our lives to regain their sense of normalcy and routine, to which we are so accustomed. I have no doubt it was the facial expression and not your looks to which he was referring. I've seen his wife for my thyroid and had no idea she was telling me I needed a biopsy. It's good when you can actually understand what they're saying!