Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Go Forth to Serve

This past year I was interviewing a man who was serving or wanted to serve on a voluntary city or school board (I can't remember who the person was or the exact circumstance of the interview). I was impressed when I asked him a why he would subject himself to the abuse that public servants sometimes receive. He told me that when he was growing up he was taught to work hard and serve in the church and the community.

I have witnessed many people who dedicate their time and talents to make their communities better but have felt justified in not serving in the community because my church, work and family demands were too great. I realized recently that if I structured things a little differently in my life, I could find time to serve in the community, so today I filled out paperwork to be on my city's planning and zoning committee.

While I was at the city office, the secretary told me that there were actually two slots open on the committee and encouraged me to refer a friend who might want to serve.

Would you believe that there is a good chance me and my brother will be sitting next to each other in service to the community? When I told him about the opportunity he went right down and filled out the paperwork. It feels good to volunteer. I hope someday, when my children are grown, they will be able to repeat the words that a man told me he learned in his family.

1 comment:

karin said...

What would you be doing for the city's planning and zoning committee? I hope you and your brother make it on the committee, it would be fun to serve the community with a sibling.