
I have admired Martin Luther King Jr. for nearly my whole life. I first became aware of him when I was in elementary school and was assigned to do a book report on a biography written about him. In the Bay Area where I grew up one of the television stations played over and over again a public service announcement about tolerance that used a clip from King's "I have a Dream" speech.
A few years after my wife and I got married I was surprised to learn that her mother was living in Memphis when King was killed. She told me that she lived in a poor neighborhood near many African Americans and described the turmoil that his assassination caused people who lived in that area.
I share these stories to show that I have respect for Dr. King and am not making light of his accomplishments when I share an entry my wife made in a memory book on Jan. 19, 2002, when my oldest son Paul was in kindergarten.
"This week Paul Ivan learned about Martin Luther King Jr. He was explaining to Rebekah that on Monday he will have the day off of school because 'Martha King Stewart' helped black people and the white people got mad and a white man killed him.
"Rebekah then repeated, 'okay-King Hewitt.
"Maybe in the future I shouldn't take it so personally when the kids don't do exactly what I tell them. Their listening skills have some improving to do. :)"
1 comment:
This is good to read. I was complaining that they no longer make a big deal out of Washington and Lincoln's birthdays. That was big when I was a kid. _-Mom-
Post a Comment