Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Let's Meet in the Middle


One of the great things about serving on the stake high council is that missionaries regularly return home and share a report about their service in another part of the world. It is impressive to hear young men and women stand with confidence and share experiences they have had in another culture. I have heard reports recently on places as diverse as California, Missouri, Kansas, Ireland and Slovenia.

The elder who served in Slovenia spoke about the interest the media expressed in the Church and the missionaries who share its message. He said one of most fulfilling ways he shared the messages of the restoration in Slovenia was through singing, and said that he sang on Slovenian television. He ended his report to the council by singing part of a hymn in Slovenian.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I found an article about Slovenian media interest in the Church. As a media professional, I like to know about things first. When I saw the article, I felt like I had some firsthand knowledge.

I particularly liked the last two paragraphs. Here they are:

Many Slovenian and other European reporters, by necessity, are showing that starting at the center of Mormonism and then working their way out to the more detailed doctrines and practices is an effective way to seriously report on a people and a faith.

“If you understand the core, you will more than likely be better able to make sense of the periphery.”

1 comment:

karin said...

Those are great paragraphs. Thanks for sharing and I agree completely.