Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Two Favorite News Stories of the Week


This is a picture of a 15-year-old Maldives' boy scout and the president of the country, Maumoon Gayoom. On Tuesday the scout foiled an attempt to assassinate the Gayoom by grabbing the attacker's knife. He was injured but the president, who coincidentally is the highest ranking scout in the country, was unharmed.

Isn't this what scouting teaches young men? Stand up for what is right, be brave, loyal and true. When I saw this story I wasn't really that surprised. Scouts accomplish some great things. I am proud that my son is part of this organization and that he has goals to achieve some of its highest honors.


Did you hear about this story out of New York. A man died of natural causes in his apartment and his roommate and another man tried to pull a "Weekend at Bernie's" and cash his social security check. They put him in an office chair and wheeled him out of his apartment and down the street to a check cashing store that the man frequented.

When they tried to cash the check the clerk said the man needed to be present, so his buddies went outside to wheel him into the store. By this time a crowd had gathered and couldn't believe that these two where wheeling a dead guy around in an office chair, his head uncontrollably flopping back and forth.

I don't remember how "Weekend at Bernie's" turned out but it had to have a better outcome than this caper, because the dead man's friends were arrested. Think this sounds far fetched? Too strange to be true? Here's the link.

3 comments:

karin said...

These stories could not be more different but both entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

The Collingwood Family said...

that's crazy! thanks for sharing!

J & M Shumate Family said...

Oh my goodness...I can't believe the second story! I love the first one. Your blog is cool.