Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Monday is my big laundry day.

In a family with four kids, laundry is a part of every day, but Mondays are consistently the days I do the most loads (probably because I take Saturday and Sunday off). Yesterday was no exception.

It was during the third dryer load that I noticed a haze and burning smell in my laundry room. I immediately turned off the dryer and investigated. I vacuumed behind and under the dryer, disconnected the exhaust hose, vacuumed out the inside of dryer from the back, and even ran to Ace Hardware and bought a brand new dryer hose the replace the completely clogged one. I put it all back together and patted myself on the back.

I'm a good wife, huh? I'll admit that my first inclination was to leave it all for when Paul came home, but we were to have FHE as soon as he walked in the door, so I didn't want this looming as a chore to do late into the night. So I gathered my inexperienced wits, and got to work.

After an hour of drying the current load of clothes, I opened the door the check them, and they were ice cold and still damp. No heat. The dryer is working, but not giving any heat. I immediately knew the problem was beyond me to fix.

After FHE, Paul tackled the issue at hand. He concluded that the heating element had burned out and promised to pick up the part in the morning. I took the wet clothes from the washer (that had been waiting half the day) and hung them out to dry on a make-shift clothes line in our playroom.

This morning I showed the kids my surprise in the playroom (they were sleeping while we were fixing). Rebekah laughed and exclaimed, "Yeah! We're old fashioned!"

She really got a kick out of the clothes hanging on the line. I wonder what she'd think if I made it her job to dry the clothes on a clothesline everyday. It'd sure save a lot of electricity.

5 comments:

Jeanette said...

Clothes dryer problems, no thanks. I love your spirit and problem solving. Just for kicks add clothes drying to her chore chart. Maybe she will like being old fashioned. JCV

Anonymous said...

Brandy,
You are seriously one of the best people I know. Next time remember, I have a dryer and I am right around the corner.
Keith

karin said...

I am impressed. I would have waited for Bryan to get home from work.

*I am glad you took a photo.

Anonymous said...

Cute picture. Kids are amazed at old fashioned things.I like clothes lines and sheets blowing dry in the warm summer winds.
When I had young kids my dryer element burned out. A dime from someones pocket hit it. It was found in the element itself.
From Old Fashioned Grandma B

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing woman. I have a tough time keeping up on things with 1 child. We have it so easy today, imagine having to hand wash, dry, etc. and have kids. You are just simply amazing in so many ways.