Tuesday, August 21, 2007

close call

Sometimes I forget to think. Sometimes I try to think of too many things at one time. Today, I'm not sure which one happened, but I almost had to pay a hefty price.

About six months after Emma was born, I got a headache and took a normal dose of ibuprofen. A couple of hours later, my eyes swelled up something awful. About a month later, I again needed a pain reliever and took ibuprofen. Again, my eyes swelled up--so much so I could see my bottom eye lids. I looked pretty freakish. I then connected the dots. I consulted my doctor who declared I had developed an allergy. Lovely.

So tonight I'm feeling like I need some pain relief. I open the medicine box to find the pain reliever. I had bought myself a bottle of "non-aspirin" pain reliever, but apparently the brand-new bottle of ibuprofen was sitting right in front. So in the middle of telling my sister goodbye and finishing the dinner preparations, I downed two pills. Tonya asked, "are those prenatals?" I say, "no, it's ibuprofen." One second, two seconds, "Oh Crap!"

But the good news is that I'm fine. I can still see and my bottom eyelids do not touch the rim of my glasses. I'm lucky this time. I think I'll take a sharpie and write "POISON" across the ibuprofen bottle. Maybe that will catch my attention next time. If I can't remember that I'm allergic, maybe I can read it!

4 comments:

The Nielsens said...

You should have taken a picture. Okay that shouldn't be my first thought.

"I'm so glad you are okay!!" Definitely take a sharpie to the bottle.

karin said...

I bet that got your heart rate up. I would have liked to have seen a photo too.

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so sad. It wil be easier to read before you take a pill. Jeanette

mistyp said...

That's pretty scary! I'm allergic to quite a few things, too.