How good of a soccer player would you be if you just sat at home all day and read every book about soccer? You knew the history, rules, strategies. Maybe you've even watched matches on TV, but never got out on a field and kicked the ball around.
My friend Karin commented yesterday on one of my posts and it got me thinking. Am I "dumping my kids" at school? I've never thought so, but that isn't convincing enough. Then I took a shower this morning. It started to come to me (I do most of my deep thinking in the shower).
My husband and I spend every Monday night teaching our kids the principles of the gospel. We try to teach them the scriptures, the stories in them and the principles we need to adapt to help make us and others happy--life strategies, if you will. We also read the scriptures daily--learning the history of the early church and the life history of our Savior.
So, from Late August until the end of May, we usher our kids out onto the soccer field of life to dribble the ball around. They report home each evening to tell us of the progress in their skills. How did they do when faced with the temptation of cheating? How did they react when a friend betrayed them? How did they treat the new kid in class? Were they a true friend when another friend was being made fun of? Do they stand as a witness for Christ in all that they do and say?By doing this daily, I hope when the age of adulthood comes, they will have practiced their skills enough to be ready to win any championship they seek after. I'm confident that if we didn't send our kids to public school, they would not get the opportunities to live the gospel principles we've taught them. They also wouldn't get the opportunity to fail and make mistakes--and that's where the greatest learning is accomplished.
So no, I don't think I'm dumping my kids at school.
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Soccer--not really
Posted by
Brandy
at
9:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I hope you didn't think I was talking about you. People in my ward now, take their kids to preschool and I am feeling A LOT of pressure to take Adam but I am just not ready for him to go. I am a firm believer in getting an education outside of the home. They talk about "dumping the kids in Nursery and not looking back" (their words, not mine) and I am very different from that and if I remember right, when Emma started Nursery, she had a mother, father and an aunt check on her.
Sorry this comment is so long, I just wanted you to know I was just venting frustrations about being here and for feeling like my kids are missing out on something because I don't want to do preschool yet.
No, my thoughts were more focused on the "homeschool" versus "public education" debate. No one has the right to decide what is right for another person's family. I was just thinking about why we chose public education. That's all. :)
Maybe I should do more deep thinking lately. Seems like everyone does it, but me.... :) I just post pictures.
I feel the same way you do, Brandy. You just can say it much better than I.
I AGREE....plain and simple!!! You are a super mom. Your kids ALWAYS impressed me in Primary on Sunday. There is no doubt in my mind, they will win any championship they seek after!!!!!!
Post a Comment