You can hear a pin drop. Really. It's that quiet. It hasn't been this quiet at 10am since May. Emma spent the night with my mom so I could take the older kids to school today and Jake just went down for a nap. I'm all alone. YIPEEEE!
What should I do? Blog? Okay. What else? Clean? Probably. Not too much, though. I have until Friday before the kids will be home all day. I'll take my time. (and it's going to take some time by the look of things around here.) I know one thing I won't do. I'm not turning on Hannah Montana, Drake and Josh, Cory in the House, or The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. I've definitely seen my quota of those episodes this summer. I guess I'm back to Caillou and Dora. Oh well. Emma's real good about sharing the TV with me. I really only like to watch it while I'm folding or ironing laundry anyway. We'll compromise.
This is a big year for my kids. Isaac leaves the Primary School and enters 2nd grade at the Elementary. Tori is the new kid as a third grader. Rebekah is "big man on campus" as a fourth grader (and when I call her that, she says, "I'm a girl!"). Paul is no longer the newbie at the middle school. I think he feels quite grown up as a 6th grader. He's cool, too. Really cool. He dresses well, but not too well. He's groomed, but not pampered. He's smart, but not a nerd. He's got it goin' on.
Don't get me wrong. I do miss having the companionship of my kids. It's just that as a stay-home mom of four kids and a caregiver-aunt to two more, we have more quantity time than quality time. We need some time apart to appreciate each other. School's a good thing. It also will give them friends and experiences I could never provide. I've found that it is during school that my kids have found pride in themselves and their accomplishments. The "A" on the report card is way better than a spotless bedroom (not to me, but to them). Paul and I purposely chose to live in Lorena where we have complete confidence in the teachers and administration (and the quality of the other students). Not many of you know, but I'm a Lorena alumnus--class of 93!
Well, my mom just showed up with Emma. It's not so quiet anymore. It's sad though because she burst through the front door yelling, "Hey Guys, I'm home. Welcome home. Guys?" I had to break the news to her that they are at school. "Where's Jake?" "He's asleep." "Oh." I guess she was just taking inventory to see if she was alone. I don't think Emma would know what to do with herself if she were ever alone. She's just like her Momma.
What should I do? Blog? Okay. What else? Clean? Probably. Not too much, though. I have until Friday before the kids will be home all day. I'll take my time. (and it's going to take some time by the look of things around here.) I know one thing I won't do. I'm not turning on Hannah Montana, Drake and Josh, Cory in the House, or The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. I've definitely seen my quota of those episodes this summer. I guess I'm back to Caillou and Dora. Oh well. Emma's real good about sharing the TV with me. I really only like to watch it while I'm folding or ironing laundry anyway. We'll compromise.
This is a big year for my kids. Isaac leaves the Primary School and enters 2nd grade at the Elementary. Tori is the new kid as a third grader. Rebekah is "big man on campus" as a fourth grader (and when I call her that, she says, "I'm a girl!"). Paul is no longer the newbie at the middle school. I think he feels quite grown up as a 6th grader. He's cool, too. Really cool. He dresses well, but not too well. He's groomed, but not pampered. He's smart, but not a nerd. He's got it goin' on.
Don't get me wrong. I do miss having the companionship of my kids. It's just that as a stay-home mom of four kids and a caregiver-aunt to two more, we have more quantity time than quality time. We need some time apart to appreciate each other. School's a good thing. It also will give them friends and experiences I could never provide. I've found that it is during school that my kids have found pride in themselves and their accomplishments. The "A" on the report card is way better than a spotless bedroom (not to me, but to them). Paul and I purposely chose to live in Lorena where we have complete confidence in the teachers and administration (and the quality of the other students). Not many of you know, but I'm a Lorena alumnus--class of 93!
Well, my mom just showed up with Emma. It's not so quiet anymore. It's sad though because she burst through the front door yelling, "Hey Guys, I'm home. Welcome home. Guys?" I had to break the news to her that they are at school. "Where's Jake?" "He's asleep." "Oh." I guess she was just taking inventory to see if she was alone. I don't think Emma would know what to do with herself if she were ever alone. She's just like her Momma.
2 comments:
Quiet is my favorite time, too. I worry about future things like school and summer breaks. I guess I'll just forget about it for now, as I still have two years before we deal with school. :)
By reading this, I am starting to not be so afraid of school (well, preschool). I know I will welcome school in a little while, especially if I have 4 kids, but right now people here talk about dumping their kids in preschool or Nursery and not looking back. I like being with my kids, for the most part I like going shopping with them too- I think because it limits how long I can "shop."
I DON'T like being alone either. When my nephew was here for 3 days, we watched all of those shows and I have never been happier to watch Little Einsteins and Backyardigans.
Post a Comment