Sunday, August 19, 2007

Forgiveness

I know you really want to know, so I'll tell you. Our talks in Hillsboro went just fine. Rebekah spoke as well, telling of the parable of the sinner who washed Jesus' feet at Simon's house found in Luke 7 (surely that is not the real name of the parable?). She did a great job and bore a simple testimony. She didn't seem nervous even though there were 70 people there. Yeah for her.

Surprisingly I wasn't nervous. I get terribly nervous when asked to speak in our ward (I don't even like making comments in Sunday School), but the two times I've spoken with my husband, I've not been nervous at all. It took a few days for me gather my thoughts, quotes, and scriptures, but it came together yesterday. I knew what I point I wanted to make, but I just couldn't put it into words. As I was typing the conclusion last night, I finally formulated my thoughts into words. The whole point I wanted to make in my talk was this: The less easily we are offended, the more easily we can forgive. Groundbreaking, I know. But still, I don't have a lot of experience with major forgiving, so I had to go with something. And I feel, like Emma quickly forgiving her dad for leaving her at home (see earlier post "No movies for you!"), that if we don't let ourselves get deeply hurt, we will have an easier time quickly forgiving. And I learned something again that I've always known--that when we forgive others, it only benefits us. We have more peace. We have the clear conscience. We then are worthy to be forgiven by our Heavenly Father for the sins we commit. The people in Hillsboro already got the ear-full, so I won't go on.

My husband did a great job, too. He filled the majority of the time, and I appreciate his ability to do that. He chose excellent stories to share that clearly taught important principles. I was proud.

When it was over, we were rewarded. Yep, paid for our service. I guess the branches in the stake like to have a potluck lunch the third Sunday of the month. Lucky us. Nice people and yummy food. A great way to spend a Sabbath day.

6 comments:

Moore Fun Stories said...

I'm glad it went really great. I missed Emma in nursery today. She's always such a great helper.

karin said...

I knew you would do a great job and what a great way to put it. And having food after church sounds fabulous to me (we get out of church at 5PM!).

Stamp With Linz said...

I'm sure you were fabulous! We missed you all today, though!

Anonymous said...

wish I could have been there to hear your talk I know you did a great job.

Anonymous said...

I say we hear from the Romer's in our ward, again. We can't learn too much from great people! I'll talk to the Bishop.
Jeanette

mistyp said...

Does sound like it went well! I liked speaking in church after my mission but since I had kids I hate it! ;)