Friday, August 24, 2007

same difference

I do not read tabloids. I got caught once. I browsed the National Enquirer, mostly looking at pictures. Then a few weeks later I was having a discussion with someone about a celebrity, and I told them that I had heard something about her. I couldn't remember where I had heard it, but I watch a lot of TV news, so I figured it was from there. Nope, it popped into my mind a few minutes later that I had READ it in the Enquirer. Oops. I withdrew my comment.

I have a pretty good memory for knowledge, but I have a terrible time remembering the source of that knowledge. I gave up tabloid reading for fear that I might repeat the rumors. Well, a few posts ago I mentioned that I read a marquee from a Waco church that said, "no matter what we have done in the past, we have a spotless future." The saying stuck, but I couldn't remember exactly where I had read it. Today, I ran across it again, on the corner of Chapel Road and Hewitt Drive--at the United Church of EXXON!!! Ya, the gas station.

It's funny because I got an email from my Dad encouraging me to not disregard the thought just because it came from another church. "Truth is Truth" he said. He's right, but I'll try not to take my spiritual guidance from a gas station in the future. I still like the thought. It is true. But I don't think I'll quote an Exxon sign, just to save my own credibility.

3 comments:

karin said...

That is so funny! That is why I LOVE and miss Texas so much, I have a hard time even seeing what gas prices are here.

Anonymous said...

I am pleased you do not take your spirital guidance from the Church of Exxon and even more pleased that you to not do as most women and simple follow what Oprah tells them.

mistyp said...

You are great! I love reading your posts!!!! ;)