Sunday, August 12, 2007

I don't have it.


This morning I received a phone call from a good friend asking a very strange question. She asked, "Do you think it would be all right if I attended services at your church?"

I met Ann over a year ago. I was asked if I could drive her from Waco to the VA hospital in Temple. Her husband, Dave, a member of our ward, had been diagnosed with lymphoma and was unexpectedly admitted into the hospital. I agreed to do the small favor. It was a pleasant drive and a nice conversation. She needed a similar favor a few weeks later. That sealed the friendship. Ann is the definition of loyalty. Dave's health recovered and the two of them found many ways to thank me for my service to them.

Sadly, in April Dave passed away. Dave was Ann's only connection to the LDS church, so I was led to believe that she had begun attending church with some friends she made from the VA. I've kept in touch with Ann and she even attended Paul Ivan's birthday party in June, but I let time slip away and it had been several weeks, maybe a month, since I've talked with her -- until this morning. I answered her question by saying, "We would love to have you at church."

She came and even sat by my family. It was so nice to see her again. I started to worry about what would happen during Sunday school and Relief Society because I had committed to substitute teach in the primary today. Luckily Sandy Hodson showed up at our pew right after sacrament and whisked Ann away. Ann came to know and love the Hodson's during Dave's illness because Gene was serving as the Bishop. But face it, who doesn't love Sandy anyway?

So I'm teaching in primary about having faith in Jesus Christ. I teach about the experience of the brother of Jared and how it was his faith that allowed him to see Jesus Christ. I asked those seven-year-olds if they had that kind of faith and they all answered, "yes." They might, but I don't. I've been conditioned to rely on the flesh to solve my problems. I judge situations to be one way without regard to the fact that true miracles can (and do) happen.

Ann may never get baptized. But then again, she may. But the fact that she called and wanted to attend church because she "could see what Dave was talking about and why he loved this church so much" humbled me. I don't have faith that people will accept the gospel if I share it with them. I don't have faith that people will want to change their life to follow the Savior. I'm blessed today to be shown my weakness. That may have been the most important phone call I took all week.

5 comments:

mistyp said...

Wow! You're lucky to have an experience like that! Missionaries pray for things like that to happen. I have to say that even though you may "doubt" yourself...you WERE being a missionary by being a friend and someone she could turn to! Good job and thanks for sharing!!!! Salvation is an important phone call!!!! ;)

Moore Fun Stories said...

Thank you for sharing. It made me think. I saw Ann at church and we spoke for a quick minute. I had no idea she was going through all that. I am glad she felt comfortable to call you. That says a lot.

By the way, I just found your blog.

Stamp With Linz said...

Man, Brandy! You have a knack for making me tear-up! :) Lovely, lovely story...we are alike in more ways than you know! Thanks for sharing!

The Nielsens said...

Enjoying YOUR Journey!!!! that's the title of this comment. I'm glad you've started blogging. I like that you're sharing your thoughts, happenings and experiences. I am very much enjoying your journey. Thanks for sharing.

karin said...

I am impressed! I never have things like that happen to me and I am shy (I know I don't really show it but I am) so talking with ANYBODY (including church members) about the church is very intimidating. I would like to think I have that faith and I hope someday I do.

*I am really enjoying you blogging too, I wish you would have started a while ago.